Automated Comments Not Working

Ana Sooter December 23, 2020

Using the new Jira Automation Rules, we've setup two automated comment updates; 

• Prompt Customer For a Comment 
    • Prompt them if they haven't updated a ticket in e.g. 5 days 
  • Close due to inactivity 
    • Update the ticket with a comment and close it due to no response in e.g. 14 days 

We have separate groups for our clients for privacy and whilst the above transitions to "Closed" are working without issue, the automation isn't adding comments on certain service desks and we're getting this error message: 

"Error adding comment to issueGroup level visibility has been disabled. (commentLevel)" 

I've looked at quite a few articles but haven't been able to find a solution to this, any suggestions / advice appreciated 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2020

Hi @Ana Sooter

Looking for your error I think that your instance don't have comment visibility enabled for Groups.

I would recommend to check if your instance has Group & Project Roles enabled for Comment visibility, see below how to check this:

• Check under JIRA Settings > System > General Configuration for "Comment visibility" make sure it's set to "Groups & Project Roles" and not "Project Roles only"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/add-restricted-comments-on-jira-962353957.html

I hope this fixes your issue!

Ana Sooter December 24, 2020

Hi @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] 

Thank you for this update, I've made that change but I'm now getting a different error message: 

"Error adding comment to issue You are currently not a member of the group: XXXX - Client. (commentLevel)

The settings for posting the comment are: 

• Share with Customer 
  • Comment visibility -> XXXX - Client (Group)

Concerned I've missed a step or haven't set something up correctly

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2020

Hi @Ana Sooter ,

So you can only set comment visibility of groups you belongs to.

The default rule actor is the Automation User it this user is not part of the group you want to use.

You need to change the rule actor to some user that belongs to the Group you want to set customer visibility.

Like Ana Sooter likes this
Ana Sooter December 24, 2020

Hi @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] 

Do'h - that makes sense, thank you so much for your help! 

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 24, 2020

I'm glad I could help you!

Enjoy your holiday and "Feliz Natal!"

Like Ana Sooter likes this
elizabeth.hotson October 21, 2021

Hi there- what if the desired behavior is to use the Automation for Jira user to comment? Is there a way to grant the Automation for Jira user permissions to comment on all projects and issue types? Thanks

Like # people like this
jonathank April 21, 2022

Would love a solution to the above question. "Automation for Jira" is a great user, shows exactly where it is from. Annoying that you have to make another user for this problem

Like Slava Gefen likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events