Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Auto assigning a newly created ticket

Since we do not have a dedicated helpdesk person, we are looking to auto-assign tickets that users create.  I understand one can use rules, but with a limit of 20 rules (I understand) and nearly 20 tech's and areas of responsibility, I'm guessing that the rules will be used up before all the auto-assigning has been defined.  I also understand that Queues are available but challenging to use for auto-assigning. 

I recently wrote a post asking about how to get ahold of a human that works for Jira, but answers received indicate I can't.  this is part of my research to determine if we purchase this product.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Jul 08, 2021

How would you plan to auto assign issues? Would this be random or would there be specific theories of responsibilities by agent? The solution I would recommend depends on the answer to my questions. For example you could choose to use request types or something other field.

It would be by responsibility.  Eg. phone problems go to the phone guy.  Web problems/requests to the web programmer, SQL report problems/request to one of non-web programmers, or one of two DBA's depending on if report is for HR, Financial aid, or other department.

Jack Community Leader Jul 08, 2021

That would equate to request types then. Automation is definitely the way to go however as I see you are free you’re really going to be limited here. Ultimately I think you’re gonna be looking at moving up to standard or changing your requirements. for example you could use queues as you pointed out. Define the queues based on the request type and you can name the queues based on the agent. 

Thanks Jack.  It looks like I have to do a little reading on some documentation. 

When you refer to "free" and "Standard", I'm guessing you are referring to purchase (or test) levels.  For the record, It would be nice if Jira had a human, sales or not, that I could confer with before purchase.

Jack Community Leader Jul 09, 2021

JSM come in Free, Standard, Premium and Enterprise tiers. Each provides increasing levels of features, capacities and support. Read more here.

Regarding having sales contact or other, I certainly understand the desire. I recall when I first started using their products many years ago I had a similar opinion. However that isn’t their model. I would also offer that the community provides a tremendous resource to new and existing users. The response time within the community often times is less than one minute for most inquiries which is pretty  unprecedented in my opinion. I wish I had the community back when I started.😉

Finally if you have a question regarding this specific post please let me know. Setting up queues based on request types is very simple. For example, let’s say you had a given agent that was going to handle two request types such as new PC and new printer. Then you could easily construct a JQL filter that represents your cue for that one agent like below.

Agent-Steve: “customer request type” in (“new PC”, “new printer”) and statuscategory != done

this would ensure That any unresolved requests from a customer under either of those request types would show up in this individual’s queue.

Perfect.  Thanks you.

Hi Steve,

I'd recommend you read the Automation for Jira rule and execution caps for the different offerings on the link below.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/explore-jira-cloud-plans/

You can have unlimited SINGLE project automation rules.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark.  I"l check it out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Atlympic Event: Jira Service Managemnt

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

155 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you