Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any risks or implications in changing the key of my Service Desk project?

Ricardo Rodrigues August 14, 2020

Hi,

I'm looking to change the key of my Service Desk project. I understand that once I do this, the project will be reindexed. Are there any negative risks associated with this, or is it a simple unobtrusive change?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Najjar _Innovura_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 14, 2020

Hi @Ricardo Rodrigues 

The only side effects of renaming project keys are outer integrations with this project, like Bitbucket or other applications.

If any, then the rename should apply there also.

0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2020

If your situation allows, consider avoiding a project key rename.

If you change an existing project's key, the old key won't be re-usable again when creating new Jira projects. The only way to free up the key would be to delete the project.

Knowing that, if you have the option of creating a new project with the desired key, then moving issues to the new project, consider that.

p.s. Also, if the new project is a Service Desk project, it would have its own unique service desk portal ID, like so YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/45 - if you haven't publicized the portal URL, then this won't be a big deal.

Ricardo Rodrigues August 17, 2020

Thanks for the insight, Dave!

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders