Adding Emails from Google Group

Patrick Dufresne May 25, 2017

Hi,

I'm looking to auto create tasks when someone emails an email, that being said the email itself is a group so when it asks me for the email and password for the desired account to auto -  create tasks from, I'm not sure what to put down.

I'm using G-Suite and I have 2 step verification enabled.

Thanks!

Patrick

4 answers

3 votes
Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2018

My solution was to add the Atlassian-generated email for the Service Desk to the Google Group, which then creates tickets automatically since something@mydomain.atlassian.net is a part of it.

The only issue I have is with the auto-generated message from Google which pops up on the bottom of the Jira tickets, saying "this is an auto-forwarded email from Google Group blabla@bla.com ..."

Does anybody know how to remove that footer from the automated ticket generation? (other than deleting it manually from the ticket description)

Alok Bhargava July 28, 2018

I believe you can configure the footer from the Google Group Settings.

BTW were you able to get this email channel to work successfully along the entire JIRA issue life cycle?  I.e. once a customer filed a request, could they reply to the email (presumably still going to your Google Group email address) and the reply email is successfully connected with the JIRA issue?

Thanks! 

Kristina Radeva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2018

I tested commenting on an issue that was created into a ticket from the mail, the customer's reply to the email was a comment in the Service Desk. Every time.

Alok Bhargava July 28, 2018

Thanks Kristina!  That sounds very promising.  I will try that.

Best!

Jon Watts December 17, 2018

Hi @Kristina Radeva 

I'd be very interested to understand how you were able to add the generated JIRA Cloud Email Address 'support@mydomain.atlassian.net' to your G Suite group

Best Regards

Jon

Greyson Yant January 30, 2019

Hi @Jon Watts,

Under group setting there is a toggle to "Allow members outside your organization" once active you can add the JIRA generated email address to the group.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 12.31.09 PM.pngHope that helps!

Take care,

Greyson

0 votes
Neeraj Saini February 11, 2020

Anyone had success with this? I am trying to use a custom email group address but it seems like it will only work with an individual email account. So Far Patrick's solution seems to be a good workaround

0 votes
Cameron Schmidt November 2, 2017

I've had success with this without creating the group as a user.

When you add the email address select 'Other' (rather than gmail). Set the email address to the Group Email address and the username to a G-Suite Username (who received emails from that group).

Set the Email Protocol to SECURE IMAP and use Gmail's IMAP settings (imap.gmail.com on port 993)

This has worked for me, providing the person sending the emails to your custom address are permitted to create issues.

Cameron Schmidt November 5, 2017

Looking a bit more closely at this and it doesn't work :( 

It seems to continue to add mail addressed to email addresses other than the email address provided.

Not an issue for my use case, but I thought I'd let others know that my previous answer doesn't work!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

Which application are the tasks going to go into?

Gmail. 

I'm under email requests for Help Desk and it's asking me for a email and password when I go to set up a custom email address. See picture below:

Capture.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

Gmail is not an Atlassian application.  The tasks are not going into gmail, I wanted to know where they were going.

You actually want to talk about JIRA Service Desk here.

What that box is asking for is the gmail address you want to use to collect issues from.  People will email that address, mails go into a mailbox, Jira Service Desk will read them and turn them into requests for you.

You need to have got the email set up first of course, Jira can't do that for you.

The tasks are going into JIRA, and I want to collect issues from emails sent to "billing@xxx.com", but that's a group versus my personal email, are you implying I make "billing@xxx.com" a new email versus a group in G-Suite Admin?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2017

It sounds like it, yes.  If you want to create requests from emails, you need to send the email to a mail box JIRA can read (and delete from by the way)

Like octaviy likes this

So I got it working for the most part, now the issue I'm running into is that it looks like only emails from me get added to the queue. I would of figured that by saying any emails to the address would be added as a task would be enough? Any reason why when others send emails it doesn't create as a task?

It says to go to global settings for customers to create accounts but I don't see a need for that, I just want their emails to be converted to tasks.

Is there a switch I need to flip here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2017

My guess is that it's not set up for anonymous users, so it's ignoring people who don't have accounts yet.  Have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html to see how to configure it all in full.

Patrick Dufresne May 29, 2017

Thanks,

I got it working now. 

Patrick

Jon Watts July 22, 2017

Hi Patrick,

Can you please explain how you solved this issue.

I am also trying to setup custom email address in JIRA Service Desk email channel for a G Suite group email address "suport@xxxx.com" and being a group there is no password.

I'd be interested in understanding how you managed to get this working.

Were you able to get the G Suite group email address added as a custom email address?

Appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Patrick Dufresne July 25, 2017

It's a band aid solution but I made it so all emails sent to group get forwarded to a new email (user email versus group email).

So in your case: support@x.com <- group

Forwards all incoming emails to:

support1@x.com <- individual email

It's sloppy, but it works!

Eventually what I'm going to be doing is just delete the group and create a user with the email I want once I'm confident everything is configured the way I'd like it since the end goal for us is to not use the actual gmail inbox for this user and we exclusively commnunicate via JIRA.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events