Accesing to the Ticket Details after Closing the Jira Instance

Doğucan Baskın November 3, 2020

Hello Guys,

We are planning to turn off our Jira Instance. We will download the backup file but if we won't use Jira anymore how can we access the ticket details? Is there an easy way to access this information through the backup file? I mean can we extract attachment or comment directly from the backup file?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

adding to what Nic accurately conveys. if you wish to have access I recommend exporting each project to a csv file and store locally. use excel when/if needed.

Doğucan Baskın November 4, 2020

Is there a way to export the project directly as CSV? I know that we can export via the "All issues" page but there is a limit of 1000 requests to export.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

If you have Excel then install the jira-cloud-for-excel-official extension (or if you use Google sheets get the one for it). In Excel (or Sheets) you can enter an JQL (project = abc) and the issue will be directly pulled into Excel.

Doğucan Baskın December 3, 2020

Hello Jack,

Sorry for coming back to this late because we had trouble downloading the actual backup file. As far as I understood, your solution is not for the backup file right? It is for using with an actual live Jira instance. I am looking for a way to extract data directly from the XML backup file.

Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

My ‘solution’ was just to export the issue data NOT a project or instance backup. Why not simply set up a free version of Jira and apply the backup to it. Before doing so deactivate all users except yourself. Not, I have not attempted this so can’t say how that would go but easy to try it out. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

You are correct - Jack is suggesting extracting issue data into spreadsheets.

You won't get all the data in there, but you could get what you need.  Certainly the current list of issues with all their fields can be extracted to spreadsheet formats, but there are bits like the issue history. 

You'll need to try a short extract and see if it is going to contain all the data you want to keep.

(One thing I can't remember though, if the backup file contains the attachments)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2020

Technically, yes, in real life, no. 

Whilst the backup is xml and hence theoretically readable because it contains everything, it is very hard to read, without huge piles of code.  I would say that it's only suitable for importing into another Jira, not as an archive.

Doğucan Baskın November 4, 2020

If we will stop using Jira then it would be near impossible to read the data?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2020

Not impossible, just painful, because you'd need to work out how to get what you need from a flat XML dump of a data store. 

The relationships between different data items are done mostly in the logic of the system, and that is not in the XML, it's in Jira.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events