Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API for Insights

Micah Billman October 26, 2021

I work for a company that recently started managing serialed devices in-house (i.e. what's in repair, what's out in the field, what's being triaged).   We also instituted Jira during this change. We use JSD and Insights.  Insights is a great way to manage assets, but, we're not finding it to be a good solution to work out of.  We change the status of about 100 devices/day, so, we scan all the work we do into a CSV excel file and import all the day's work into the CMDB at the end of each day. We live and breathe CSV files and I'd like to know if theses a possible solution to get away from Excel, completely.  While this operation works for us, I'd like something that would be more bi-directional (I scan 30 device serials and get warnings on certain ones AND, visa-versa, I scan 30 devices and can change the status on all 30).  We're all new to this and unfamiliar with what software options are out there that plug into Jira.  Is there something out there that can do what I'm needing?

1 comment

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2021

I don't have direct experience with barcode scanning but I think I've seen or read about people using insight with barcode scanners.

Here is a barcode scanning/integration with Jira use-case I found with a bit of searching: https://www.rightstar.com/atlassian-jira-community/keeping-track-of-your-physical-assets-in-jira/
As you see this is from a scanner vendor, not native from Jira/Atlassian.

The typical workflow seems to be with a single barcode at a time:  1) Scan to select the object, 2) trigger some form of update (probably calling Jira via rest API) 3) then move on to the next barcode.

What you are describing, batching several scanned objects into a single bulk transaction, would require a custom app of some kind.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events