Create
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gaurav Gupta shares his favorite JSM features, go-to Marketplace apps, and his love for Lego

Hi, JSM users!

Today we're highlighting one of our amazing Community Leaders, @Gaurav! Read on to hear his favorite JSM features, how he uses asset management and CMDB features in JSM, and his love for Lego. โœจ

gaurav.jpg

The freedom and expansion which is provided by Automation features of Jira Service Management Cloud have been an absolute game-changer.

Hi, Gaurav! Tell us about your role.

I am an Atlassian consultant with Nagarro, working in the ITSM, DevOps and migration space. Being a part of the Atlassian Practice, my role entails product advocacy, understanding the client requirements, mapping them to the Atlassian ecosystem, and developing a sustainable solution.

My role also enables me to stay abreast with the latest happenings in the Atlassian world and provide support to the community as well.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 12.08.17 PM.jpg

'Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish' would be my mantra. In this ever-evolving world, where change is the only constant, it always helps to stay curious and willing to learn.

What did you want to be when you grew up, and what was your path to your role today?

While growing I wanted to be everything, ranging from Defence Forces to scientist, but one thing has always been consistent in all these plans which was: I wanted to do something with technology and build something (possibly this is where I developed my craze for Legos ๐Ÿ˜€).

This is something that clicked for me during my engineering and beginning of my career, where I realised my role in the industry and was able to navigate through this roller coaster journey!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 12.07.51 PM.jpg

How does your team use Jira Service Management? Do you use JSM alongside other Atlassian products?

While we have enabled and set up ITSM and asset management solutions using JSM for multiple customers, we have also leveraged it for License and Lead management, internally.

Alongside, JSM we utilize Confluence for content management as well as Jira for work planning. Recently, I have started exploring Compass as well and looking at use-cases to use it with JSM which sounds interesting (at least in my head ๐Ÿ™‚).

What's one of your favourite features within Jira Service Management? How has it helped you work better?

If I have to mention just one, I will say, JSM Insight (Asset Management and CMDB) is the feature which my absolute favourite. This stitches together all aspects of Service Management and provides a single consolidated view, which is really powerful.

Apart from this, the freedom and expansion which is provided by Automation features of Jira Service Management Cloud have been an absolute game-changer. We have seen scenarios where we have achieved extensive customisations efficiently and effectively with this low-code/ no-code feature.

Do you use any Marketplace apps alongside Jira Service Management? If so, which ones?

Honestly, the usage of Marketplace apps depends on the use case at hand. We have made use of apps like:

• ScriptRunner to extend Jira capabilities by automating workflows and issues using scripts
  • JMWE (before Automation, and usually in Server/ DC) to script around missing features
  • Proforma Forms (when it was an app) to create custom forms for relevant details
  • Exalate to connect with SNOW or other instances
  • eazyBI for interactive, custom data visualizations and reports
  • Slack or Teams for collaboration

It usually comes down to striking the right balance between cost and time along with choosing between in-house development and securely accepting 3rd party products off the shelf.

What's one tip you'd like to give to users new to Jira Service Management?

'Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish' would be my mantra. In this ever-evolving world, where change is the only constant, it always helps to stay curious and willing to learn. Service Management has changed in recent times and is still evolving. It adds value and builds context if we understand the 'why' with the 'what' and 'how' of things (processes).

Tuning into events like 'High Velocity: ITSM World Tour' helps understand how Jira Service Management is being utilized across different industries and helps in expanding the horizons.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 12.08.07 PM.jpg

Do you have a daily ritual that helps you get work done? Has anything changed about your workday in the last year?

Making meticulous notes for all that I do and at the end of the day reflecting back on the events and visualizing if something can be changed for the better; have helped me in getting the work done and improving a little daily.

Though the work itself has not changed much, the workday has changed with respect to the travel time. This has enabled me to spend a lot more time with my family which is wonderful and priceless.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 12.08.38 PM.jpg

What do you do for fun outside of work?

I like to travel, read mythology (probably genetic ๐Ÿ˜€), fiction and build lego (I have made sure my son also loves lego ๐Ÿ˜‰). I am also up for trying any new cuisine (vegetarian please) as well.

Thanks so much, Gaurav! Learn more about Jira Service Management along with our amazing product guide. Missed our High Velocity: ITSM World Tour? Catch the sessions on-demand.

3 comments

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Thanks, @Sharon Tan for the opportunity of this interview (virtual)...enjoyed the experience !!

Like โ€ข # people like this
vivekbhati December 7, 2021

Having worked with you on a couple of engagements, Gaurav, you certainly are on your way to become an authority on Insight features of JSM.

This recognition for giving back to the community is super amazing. Proud to be working with and learning from you.

Like โ€ข Gaurav likes this
Sanjeev December 7, 2021

Well done @Gaurav and very nicely articulated. 

Like โ€ข Gaurav likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events