It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

why can't a "customer" see his issues ?

Hi,

I'm testing Jira Service Desk!

So I have created a "project" with some prefilled data which is fine so far.

To test customer communication I have created an additional customer using my own email account to be independent of my company account.
And I enabled the customer to send requests to the project per mail.
On testing this feature

1. a ticket was created 
  2. I can see the request and also comment it which is sent to the customer
  3. customer can respond as expected per mail or press the link "view request"

4. BUT when he logs in to the portal with his account he can't see that issue or anything else
  5. AND when trying to create a new issue he gets <"permission denied">

I have expected that a customer can use both, send issue requests per mail or create it via the portal account.

Why doesn't it work that way?

Thank's & regards

Winfried

2 answers

1 vote

There's something here in the language.

Is your "customer" an account of the type that Jira Service Desk considers a "customer"?  That is, someone who can not log into Jira, but only use the portal/request system?

I added a "customer" to the project.

the customer got an email with a link to "Join" which links him to Jira Service Desk to set up his account.
When try to login to Jira Service Desk it works but can't see anything.

Sending requests to the project, receiving responses (comments), responding and also use the link "view request" in the response works fine.
And when he is in "Help center" can see the issue and put in a comment.

I expected that he can do this also when he logs in as the customer user.

regards

That's what I thought.

Customers are not Jira users.  They can create requests, respond, update etc, but they only get request access. 

The underlying Jira issues are only for Jira users, not customers.  You'll need to add the customer as a Jira user to start with (consuming a licence)

Thank's 

So my expectation was wrong that the customer can login, enter requests, lists his existing requests etc.

He only can send requests via email and always has to use the link sent with the mails to get in or again respond per mail right?

What I'm talking about are "external" (real) customers we want to support using Jira Service Desk while our development is also using Jira for project management.

Is that still the right way?

No.  A customer can login, enter requests, list requests, email, use the portal to update requests, including closing them if they're no longer valid (and the workflow allows it for them)

They can not get to the issue behind the request.  A request is not an issue, it's an interface on to an issue.

May be the permissions are not set properly.

When I'm logged in as the customer I only get the choices

• Dashboards
  • Projects
  • Issues

But also don't see any project even if the account was created with "add customer" in projects' context.

Your customers have very limited access to the issue interface (plain Jira with Dashboards, projects and issues) - pretty much "anonymous" access which is open to all.

Try sending them to the request interface - the Service Desk Portals

0 votes
Mirek Community Leader Mar 08, 2018

It is probably because project permission scheme. Please check if customer role is added to it and that actually the customer is in that role. Please check this dock for more information - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/customizing-jira-service-desk-permissions-802592459.html

Thank's 

I have checked the permissions as far as I can. Customer has the project role as Service desk customer, and the permission scheme shows this group enabled for Create/edit/etc. issues. screenshot of page

Jira Service Desk Permission Scheme for Project MYL 1

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-08 um 14.29.30.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Desk

Tell us how you've implemented Change Management

Hello Community 👋, I'm a product manager at Atlassian, looking at improving change management capabilities across our products. In particular, we're looking at bridging the gap between Dev & ...

336 views 0 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you