when an email is sent to the Jira email address how does it differentiate between ticket types

Cristina Chiciudean September 21, 2017

Hello,

We are trying to configure the email address for Jira where users can send emails and jira logs tickets automatically. Do we need to assign a ticket type to the email address (incident, service request, etc) and then the ticket is logged automatically with that type or do you need several email addresses? My initial thought is that don't because after it is logged you change the ticket type manually. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cristina

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2017

You assign an issue type to the email address. I also hide that type from the portal so it is unique to email. If you need/want you can move an issue to a new type once created. 

Cristina Chiciudean September 21, 2017

Hey, thanks for the reply. So in theory you would need individual email addresses for all ticket types? I want clients to email the email address rather then log in via the portal (account specifics) and this will make my life a lot harder, having several email addresses. This is so counter intuitive.

I have tried to change the ticket type after logging but it doesn't let me...any idea why?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2017

Not sure what server allows but for cloud there is only one email. Email per issue type won’t work. 

Glenn Morrow September 22, 2017

We do this. All emails come in and are assigned to issue type "email". They are then manually moved (you changed issue type by using "Move"). It is hard to do it automatically as how is JIRA to determine if a given emailed in issue is an Incident or a Service Request or whatever. So we manually Move it to correct issue type and then manually Triage it. That works fine.

Cristina Chiciudean September 25, 2017

Hey Glenn, thanks. We did this and now works like a charm.

Glenn Morrow September 25, 2017

Cool

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2017

@Cristina Chiciudean, if you are satisfied w/ the responses here please accept the answer to 'close' it out so others can benefit when they have similar questions.

0 votes
Glenn Morrow September 25, 2017
-

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events