Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to export my backlog to excel?

Aimee Gordon December 20, 2017

I have a long backlog that I want to export to excel.  is there a way to do do that? 

4 answers

4 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 15, 2021

You also have the option to export the Jira backlog more conveniently right from the backlog view, without using JQL - advanced or otherwise. Better Excel Exporter is integrated into this screen (and others, like the active sprint or the JSM queue).

Depending on your Jira deployment type (Server or Cloud), the UI is different, but the main thing is that you can export the Jira agile backlog to Excel easily in a few steps:

1. Go to the Backlog view of Jira Cloud
  2. Open the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner
  3. Select the Excel Export menu item
  4. Select the Excel export format you want

better-excel-exporter-backlog-export.png

(Please note that Better Excel Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

2 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2017

You can use Shift + Left click on the first issue followed by Left click on the last issue in the backlog-screen and than right click to export to Excel. For more details see GreenHopper 6.2.2 release notes 

Manish Kamble January 18, 2023

This was by far the best and the easiest way, However the additional step was to rt click and select "view in issue navigation" once done you can export to CSV, thanks for your advice 

Like Daniel Gavrila likes this
2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2017

Sure, just use JQL advanced method to create a filter for the project in question for all unresolved issues not in an active sprint. Then export to CSV. 

Nathaniel Rink October 22, 2019

This was the instant answer i needed

1 vote
Kristina Haggård January 3, 2018

With all the respect, but to me CVS is not really Excel, but a collection of data. A comma separated DB dump. The export to Excel feature is gone missing in the latest release, and so do all the Swedish characters and selected columns in the CVS export. It actually produces unreadable results, even after excel function "text to column" has been applied. It also picks random columns to export, so neither options (all columns, selected columns) work properly. Even the previous version did that with Excel, so that bug is still there in our server installation.

The value I get from the CVS export right now is none.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

The Excel export was not Excel either, it was XML that says "hey, I'm a spreadsheet".

In theory, I understand why Atlassian has replaced Excel with CSV - CSV was the single most demanded form of export for years, and should make a perfectly good replacement for Excel as spreadsheets can read it just as well as the XML.

However, I don't feel the current CSV export is ready to replace the Excel export yet, with some of your reasons being part of why.

There is one thing though - if you're on server, then look for (you may need to create it) jira-config.properties in the home directory, add jira.export.excel.enabled=true to the file and restart.  The old Excel export comes back.  Should work up to Jira 7.5 (I've not tried it in 7.6)

Kristina Haggård January 4, 2018

Thanks for the suggested workaround, will give it a try. :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events