how to track certain employees in jira

sara alsaif August 15, 2017

hello .

a manager asked me how he could track everything the employees under him are working on . I was looking for a way, he wasn't satisfied with filter result .

he wants to get a notification through email every time an employee do anything .And I'd prefer if there a way that is not a paid add-on . 

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

If the manager wants to know everything (yikes) that is going on then making him/her a watcher on all issues created for his group would be the solution. However, if something more specific is desired I would recommend trying Automation that results in an email to the manager. 

The solution really depends on the specific goals of the manager. Is she trying to monitor progress (time logging?), time to closure (SLA performance) or general activity (comments, transitions, etc.).

some other thoughts here...As a manager myself I find the 'boards' to be the best tool for monitoring projects/teams. The Dashboard is great for highlevel views that allow drill down. The Kanban and Scrum are excellent for monitoring progress. The cards can be setup to display the items of interest (time remaining, priorities, due dates,etc) and swimlanes and quick filters allow one to orgainize and view what is desired.

sara alsaif August 15, 2017

yes the manager wants to track general activities . 

by making him watcher on all issues, is it something that could be done automatically ? if yes could you explain it alittle more 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

There isn't an easy way OOB to do this. You can add a listener but to be honest, if they want to see all activity for a project then I would probably do as @Andy Brook suggested and simply add him/her to the each notification rule (created, updated, commented, etc). Of course this is at the project level so if users NOT in the managers org are working issues in the project then this may not be the solution you desire.

Depending on the details of the situation I would look at notifying the manager via Automation as the IF statement can restrict to a list of Assignees. 

e.g. 

when: created, commented, updated, transitions

if: assignee in (fred, wilma, bam bam)

then: email micro.manager

or something like that...

sara alsaif August 21, 2017

thank you for responding, I'll try your solution

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2017

> he wants to get a notification through email every time an employee do anything .And I'd prefer if there a way that is not a paid add-on . 

One path is to add your manager to every notification scheme IssueEvent (assuming only employees are involved!), so that he gets notified of everything, that should resolve this pretty quickly :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events