Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cyclic service desk sla goals

Flavius Nopcea December 16, 2013

what happens/how is sla calculated for issues when the goal in each cla depends on the other sla?

for example I have 2 slas:

time to resolution. this has only 1 goal defined as follows: priority = Blocker and "Time waiting for support" > 30m

time waiting for support. this has 1 goal defined as follows: priority = Blocker and "Time to resolution" < 30m

now: when I create a new issue in the associated project and I put the priority as 'Blocked' how is the sla calculated for this issue. because the goals for each sla depends on the other sla?

jira displays some values on the view issue page but I do not know how those are calculated!

please help!

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Judd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2013

Hi Flavius,

The goals for each SLA metric are calculated independantly. This means you can have multiple SLAs that apply to a single issue.

For example, you might have a 'Time to Resolution' goal for priority=Blocker of 4 hours and a 'Time waiting for Support' goal for priority=Blocker of 1 hour. Each Blocker issue will have both SLAs applied.

Flavius Nopcea December 17, 2013

I understand that the SLAs are calculated independently BUT in my example each SLA has only ONE goal and the goal of each SLA depends on the value of the other SLA

SLA 1 -> 1 goal -> depends on SLA 2

SLA 2 -> 1 goal -> depends on SLA 1

how is the sla calculated for a new issue? when JIRA tries to calculated SLA 1 it will look to the goal associated with it and see if the issue matches the goal. How is this possible when the goal depends on SLA 2. Also SLA2 depends on SLA1.

This is what puzzles me! Thanks

Judd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2013

Right, I see what you mean. In this case neither goal would be applied because at the point of issue creation when the trigger event fires, there is no value set for either SLA.

I'm unsure why both SLAs show up for you - I just tested this on the lastest build of Service Desk and the goals aren't applied.

Out of curiosity what are you trying to achive with this SLA setup?

Flavius Nopcea December 18, 2013

yes, I also updated the service desk plugin and I see that the slas do not appear anymore on the view issue page. my conclusion is that sla goal definition does not support expression like 'sla1 > 30m' so one sla could not depend on other sla.

can you please confirm this? (it's strange though because in the goal autocomplete displayed values I see the names of the slas. if this is not supported those values should not pop up in the autocomplete)

I need this setup for my organization.

Judd
Atlassian Team
December 18, 2013

SLAs can definitely depend on other SLAs - the goal condition just needs to be true when the SLA start event fires.

For example, let's imagine your 'Time to resolution' SLA is running (with priority=Blocker for example).

You set a goal for 'Time waiting for support' to priority=Blocker AND 'Time to resolution' < 30m and set one of the start conditions for this SLA to be 'Comment: By Reporter'.

Anytime this start event fires (the reporter comments) and the priority is Blocker and 'Time to resolution' is below 30m then this goal will be applied.

Just be aware that when you use 'issue created' as the start event, no SLA info has been set at this point so any reference in goals to other SLAs that also start on 'issue created' won't find a match.

Good luck and I hope that helps :) Let me know if you need a hand setting up SLAs (sounds like you've got some intricate rules).

1 vote
Eduardo Marques December 17, 2013

Flavius, in the mentioned SLAs what's the goal time for all the remanining issues (aside from the ones picked up by your query)? For me it seems strange that the SLA 1 is running the way you want because at the moment of start, the SLA2 hasn't started yet.

I did not have defined a value for all the remaining issues. Yes, also to me it's strange because Jira allows me to define such SLAs and even more: when I look to new issues created that maches the goals I see time values for both SLAs.

I do not understand how the SLAs are calculated in this case! And I will be dealing with situations when one SLA must depend on the other. I do not see how they can be calculated independently in this case.

1 vote
Eduardo Marques December 16, 2013

Dear Flavius,

Could you please provide more details regarding each SLA's Start, Pause on and Stop settings?

Best regards,

0 votes
Eduardo Marques December 18, 2013

It's indeed strange that the SLAs started.

It seems that the "time waiting for support" starts because the "time to resolution" is smaller than 30min (maybe the system considers the fact that the time to resolution hasn't started equals to 0 (zero) so smaller than 30min).

When you create a new ticket are both SLAs immediately initiated?

Would it be possible to change the query of the "time waiting for support" and test again?

priority = Blocker and "time to resolution" > 30m

Thank you

Flavius Nopcea December 18, 2013

I have updated the service desk plugin. now when I edit the slas, just put some more spaces characters in the goals (just to trigger the recalculation of the sla) when it asks me to recalculate I say ok but the the process hangs.

what I did is the following: I removed the cyclic dependency. so now only sla 1 depends on sla 2 but sla 2 does not depend on sla 1.

when I create a new issue now I see only the value of sla 2.

so my conclusion is: sla goal definition does not support dependecy on other sla.

is this correct? can you please confirm this?

0 votes
Eduardo Marques December 17, 2013

Hey Flavius,

Could you please add a screenshot of the SLA working at same time and also the settings for each SLA?

Thank you

Hello Eduardo,

here you can see 3 images:

http://imgur.com/FIErYGd,UlKXizt,OtVcOaB#0

you will see the definition of each sla and a new issue created!

0 votes

Any ideas?

0 votes
Flavius Nopcea December 16, 2013

both SLAs have start condition: issue created

time to resolution has stop condition: resolution set

time waiting for support stop condition: resolution set OR assignee: changed

both SLAs do not have pause conditions

I know it doesn't make so much sense. I am in the process of defining the SLAs but I do not know how JIRA calculates the SLAs when the SLAs depend on each other!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events