Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect custom email account - authentication failure

Emmanuel Gruffy January 20, 2020

in order to customize a unique email address that our customers will use to raise ticket directly with JIRA we have created a new email address on our company's domain (Gloat).

However when attempting to associate Jira's service-desk with this mail, we get 'authentication failure'

I have double and triple checked, the password is correct, and no 2 factor authentication is applied, just email + password.

Is there another possibility for this occurrence that I'm not aware of? 

thanks a lot for your time and effort on this!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2020

Hello @Emmanuel Gruffy

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, you are trying to add a new Agent in your service desk portal to open new tickets, however, that "Agent" seems to don't be able to be added with the Service Desk application access. Is that correct? Or are you trying to add a Customer in your customer portal? If you are not sure about which role the user is being added, please check the documentation below:

Jira Service Desk: Agents, Customers, and Roles 

If you are trying to add the Service Desk application access to the user so he can become an Agent, check the following:

1 - Try to perform the password reset again, but using a different browser

2 - Check if your current plan allows one more Service desk License to be applied

If the steps above are not what you are trying to do, can you please provide us with the exact steps together with screenshots displaying how you are trying to add the user e-mail to Jira Service desk so we can further investigate what might be causing the issue?

Let us know if you have any questions.

Emmanuel Gruffy January 22, 2020

Hello again Petter, thanks for your comments above.

Apologies for not adding screenshots, I actually referred to this section:

project settings -> email requests -> 'connect a custom email account':

Connect_custom_email_account.jpgThe intention is to replace the email that is currently set ' ulsup@gloat.atlassian,net' to something more unique related to our company,

It seems however that when I try to authenticate our mail domain, we get authentication failure (although the password is correct, and there is no multi-factor authentication).

I hope it i's more clear now let me know if I should add anything else.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hello Emmanuel,

Thank you for the details.

Since you have double-checked that the e-mail account you configured is working and the password is correct, the most common reason that causes this error is that your E-mail provider is blocking the Jira Service Desk application to access your account.

In fact, you may have even received an e-mail notification similar to the one below (Gmail) with a warning about the login attempt from Jira Service desk app:

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.51.48.png 

Can you check if your e-mail is properly configured to allow Service Desk to login using that account? Check the tips in the threads below to further investigate all the possible blocks that your e-mail provider could be applying:

Unable to connect to Gmail (Google Apps) for custom email address in Service Desk 

Unable to connect to Gmail for custom email address in Service Desk Project 

Let us know if this information helps.

Emmanuel Gruffy January 28, 2020

Petter your answers really helped me finding out that it was indeed a security blocking issue on my mail domain, I'm really thankful for all your help, much appreciation!! 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Hello Emmanuel,

I'm glad to know I was able to help you. Have a nice day and let us know in case you need help with anything else. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events