can't enable subtasks - 500 error; technical problems

Chris Chambers February 26, 2018

I'm trying to enable Subtasks in Jira Service Desk, from Issues...Issue Types...Subtasks, but when I change it from Disable to Enabled it immediately throws a 500 error with "Sorry we had some technical problems during your last operation"

The Request assistance link below that doesn't appear to work.

self-hosted Server install; versions: Jira v7.5.2 Service Desk v3.8.1

Help, please?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2018

We found in the logs this error was getting thrown:

2018-02-26 11:59:59,913 http-nio-8080-exec-11 ERROR      [o.a.c.c.C.[.[localhost].[/servicedesk].[action]] Servlet.service() for servlet [action] in context with path [/servicedesk] threw exception [com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Issue Type with name 'Sub-task' already exists.] with root cause
com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Issue Type with name 'Sub-task' already exists.
 at com.atlassian.jira.config.DefaultSubTaskManager.insertSubTaskIssueType(DefaultSubTaskManager.java:130)
 at com.atlassian.jira.config.DefaultSubTaskManager.enableSubTasks(DefaultSubTaskManager.java:100) 

It appears that Jira was unable to enable subtasks because when it does this it has an expectation of creating a new issuetype with the name 'Sub-Task', and in this environment there already existed an issuetype by that exact same name.

This is also explained in the KB Issue Type with Name 'Sub-task' Already Exists - Atlassian Documentation

From that KB, it explains one way to resolve this problem is to rename the current issuetype called 'Sub-Task' before trying to then re-enable subtasks on this Jira instance.

You can do this by going to the Cog/Gear icon -> Issues, and then select "Issue Types". Under this screen, find the entry for "Sub-Task" then click the Edit link. On that page you can change the name of this issuetype to anything else.

Once that is complete, you should then be able to enable subtasks here.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2018

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about this problem.  However it will be very difficult to understand what might be causing this without seeing the logs Jira generates when you try to enable this.

So I created a support ticket where you can upload those logs to us for review.  Please see https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/3/SDS-30972

Once we find a solution in that support case, I will update this community post with our solution.

Regards,

Andy

Chris Chambers February 26, 2018

Success!  thank you, Andrew Heinzer.

I renamed the old Subtask Issue Type as you suggested and was then able to re-enable Subtasks, which successfully created the new Issue Type that had been prevented by the old one's existence.

Thanks, again!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events