Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assigning a priority to a case

IT August 17, 2017

If I assign a priority to a case the case is assigned a 'fixed' resolution and I cannot change the priority 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

I expect the problem is that an inexperienced administrator has placed the "resolution" field on the "edit" screen for the issue type.

You'll need to get that removed to prevent any further issues being broken, then we can look at fixing the issues that have been broken.

Resolution should only ever be placed on transition screens.  Never on edit.

IT August 17, 2017

Thank you Nic. that would be it.

The reason for placing the resolution field on the edit screen is that if we reopen a resolved case the case still shows as resolved and is not visible when using a show only unresolved cases by placing it on the edit screen it allows the resolution to be visible and changed easily.

1. Can you advise how we can reopen resolved case?
  2. Why would placing the resolution field on the edit screen cause the case to be resolved status to change to resolved when the priority is changed? that doesn't make sense.  
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2017

>if we reopen a resolved case the case still shows as resolved 

Your admin should place a post-function for "clear resolution" or "set resolution to <none>" on the re-open transition.

The resolution field is intended to capture a resolution when you resolve an issue.  Because JIRA relies heavily on the resolution, it doesn't want to rely on the users to do it every time, so it uses a default in case the user forgets.  That behaviour occurs on the edit screen, so you resolve issues just by editing them if the resolution is there.

It's a hangover from JIRA 1, vastly flawed, and my opinion is that "resolution filled = resolved" should have been sacked off in favour of perspective dependent meta-status years ago.  But that's another essay.

IT August 17, 2017

Thank so much for your help on this

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2017

Duplicate request

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events