assigning a priority to a case

If I assign a priority to a case the case is assigned a 'fixed' resolution and I cannot change the priority 

2 answers

0 vote
Jack Brickey Community Champion Aug 17, 2017

Duplicate request

0 vote

I expect the problem is that an inexperienced administrator has placed the "resolution" field on the "edit" screen for the issue type.

You'll need to get that removed to prevent any further issues being broken, then we can look at fixing the issues that have been broken.

Resolution should only ever be placed on transition screens.  Never on edit.

Thank you Nic. that would be it.

The reason for placing the resolution field on the edit screen is that if we reopen a resolved case the case still shows as resolved and is not visible when using a show only unresolved cases by placing it on the edit screen it allows the resolution to be visible and changed easily.

1. Can you advise how we can reopen resolved case?
  2. Why would placing the resolution field on the edit screen cause the case to be resolved status to change to resolved when the priority is changed? that doesn't make sense.  

>if we reopen a resolved case the case still shows as resolved 

Your admin should place a post-function for "clear resolution" or "set resolution to <none>" on the re-open transition.

The resolution field is intended to capture a resolution when you resolve an issue.  Because JIRA relies heavily on the resolution, it doesn't want to rely on the users to do it every time, so it uses a default in case the user forgets.  That behaviour occurs on the edit screen, so you resolve issues just by editing them if the resolution is there.

It's a hangover from JIRA 1, vastly flawed, and my opinion is that "resolution filled = resolved" should have been sacked off in favour of perspective dependent meta-status years ago.  But that's another essay.

Thank so much for your help on this

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Mar 09, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

E.L. Fridge's take on education, Jira Service Desk, and creative Jira use cases

...word of mouth, so by 2016, we were working with several other entities on campus to implement Jira Service Desk . The Atlassian motto of “for every team” has really come true for us in this case. We...

960 views 2 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you