Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow Transitions different in Jira Agile to Service Desk

Nathan Smith December 9, 2014

Hi,

We use JIRA Agile extensively in IT, and our Operations department is exploring the use of JIRA Service Desk to help them route calls.   I am helping them set up their workflow on a trial version of Service Desk, but the options available for Transitions are different to the ones available in JIRA Agile.  

I want to link the 'Assigned' status to the assigning of a User (i.e. make it mandatory at this stage of the Workflow) and make the Resolution mandatory when an issue is closed.  However, the options I see for Transitions don't make any sense to the Service Desk environment as they are focussed on Code Review tasks.  

JIRA Agile transitions:Jira Agile (IT) Workflow.PNG

JIRA service desk transitions:

Validator - Ops Workflow.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Lindsay Barton December 9, 2014

If you go to the Manage Add-ons page, you should see JIRA Suite Utilities.  Have any of its modules been enabled?  There is a specific module, Fields Required, that needs to be enabled, and there are other modules that give you other options, e.g. allowing only certain users to execute a transition (another validator) or copying a value from one field to another (post function).

1 vote
Lindsay Barton December 9, 2014

You can make certain fields required on transition with JIRA Suite Utilities. The Validator would be exactly that: "Fields Required."

This is a very useful validator! The only thing to note is that if the field is on the transition screen, it won't have a red asterisk next to it (since it's not a required field according to the field configuration). The Service Desk agent will, however, get presented with an error message if he/she tries to transition the issue without that required field.

Let me know if I can be of further help!

0 votes
Nathan Smith December 10, 2014

Fantastic - that worked, thank you so much Lindsay.

One more question - I would like to trigger a transition (setting status 'Assigned') when an event occurs in the issue (i.e. an assignee is added).  I'm looking into using Listeners for this, but is there a simpler way?

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

Nathan, you can create custom events - check out adding a custom event.

I'm not as clear on your trigger question, mainly because now the term "triggers" has a specific connotation. Triggers are a newer advanced workflow feature, but are designed to interact with the Atlassian development tools

Sounds like your looking to automate part of the workflow steps and there should be a variety of ways to do this. There is an automation plugin that may do the trick, but Lindsaycan probably describe more options.

Nathan Smith December 10, 2014

Thanks @Charles Wells . I'm not referring to triggers from a development tool, but an event within Service Desk triggering a transition in the Workflow (specifically assigning a user). Lindsay, any insight on this would be great. Many thanks

Lindsay Barton December 10, 2014

The Automation plugin would be great -- it's very convenient! But it's only available to hosted environments. If you remain in Cloud, then, a listener is a great way to solve this; you'd write a listener to transition the issue on the issue assigned event.

0 votes
Nathan Smith December 9, 2014

Thanks Lindsay,

I'm using a trial version of Service Desk (Cloud version), and only have 3 Validators available (see the screenshot above), even though JIRA Suite Utilities is supposed to be available pre-installed on the Cloud.

Do Validators need to be activated, somehow, to be able to add them to the Workflow.

thanks

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

Nathan, Validators do not need to be activated. They are part of advanced workflow configuration. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+workflow+configuration

Like Sergey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events