Work logged in Jira Service Desk Notifications

Ross Musselman October 22, 2018

We have clients who have a service desk configured for them who have limited support budget. When an issue is resolved, it would be helpful if the notification to the client included a time spent indicator. Is there not a variable that would allow me to include that in the template? In an ideal world, I would be able to enter the total number of hours available for a service desk, but at least I should be able to indicate to the customer how many hours were spent on their technical support request.

Is there a way to do this in Jira Service Desk?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2018

You could create a custom field, e.g. “hours spent” and expose to the portal. I would also recommend doing a bit of searching in the Community for solutions others have done to monitor ‘support budgets’ for customers. I seem to recall an addon that some users were leveraging but can’t recall off the top of my head.

Ross Musselman October 25, 2018

Hi Jack.

Thanks for responding.

It's not clear how creating a field would allow me to take the time spent on a support issue and place it in the message to the customer. I understand that we could log time twice, but that's not an acceptable solution. The data is already in the system. It isn't clear why there is such a limited number of fields that can be used in communication to the client. 

In terms of the community, the answer seems to be the same as the answer to most unsupported functionality: buy an add-on. That's not a solution, as far as I'm concerned.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2018

My thought was that the assignee would simply enter the time into a custom field and expose the field to the customer. You could also add to the comment when resolving the issue. Other users may have some other ideas and respond here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events