Within Customer Portal, how to hide the create button for specific service request types?

Application_Group May 5, 2017

Hi,

I am working on a service desk customer portal, that requires to hide the create button for certain request types. I am thinking I could use some JS code with script runner to check the service request type and then if it matches the criteria, hide the create button on the screen. However, I am clueless as to how to go about coding that in JS to make it work within service desk?

So requesting the gurus here to please guide me or if possible, provide me with some snippet to help solve this problem...

Thanks

Anupam

4 answers

0 votes
Dennis May 5, 2017

I would also go for Jack's idea.

On the other hand there are two more options : doing it the 'hacky' way and injecting via jquery a few script lines that will simply .hide the buttons (I'm hiding the create button internally on one of our JSD instances to force the people to go over the portal). When customizations are getting. serious you should create an own frontend and implement JIRA only via webservices. The rest interface is quite well described. BG!

Thanks Jack and Dennis for your valuable inputs and I couldn't agree more with you. However, given the client needs, while I am more than happy to put forward Jack's suggestion, I am very interested to know from you Dennis, how you hacked your way specifically with JSD. IF you don't mind, could you please share on how you got it working? I understand JQuery but don't know how/where to inject the script within JSD. Also, any other nuances that you may have come across with your impementation would be nice to know...

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers

Anupam

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2017

I don't believe this is possible. If you want the old request types to direct the users to the old system then maybe provide that message in the notification for the portal and remove the request types from the project.

0 votes

Sorry had published it twice...Removed second reply here...

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2017

Hi Anupam, 

I don't have an answer ready but I am very curious to why you would like to do this? Why make the request type available if users won't be able to submit it? 

Just trying to get the reasons why as that usually helps you getting the best solution possible! 

Best, 

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

Ofcourse. No problem. That is a perfectly justified question.

As part of our traditional help desk processes we have had a number of customized forms built over the years. As we transition over to service desk, there is a recognition that for some of those help desk tasks, service desk forms may be a bit limited in its abilities and so the plan is to rather just create a headline request item within service desk and then when a user clicks on the specific request type, it just displays a message with a link to create request in the old system. However, within JSD, this is still a type of service desk request and so it still shows the Create and Cancel buttons at the bottom.

Our requirements is to hide the create button for such type of requests.

I hope that helps clarify my position. Also, for easy reference, I've attached a screenshot of such a request.

Hope this helps.ServiceRequest-Link.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events