Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why should I NOT use Default Cloud Mail Server

I want to understand a use case where not using the default cloud mail server is useful.

If I use my own mailbox, JSD will check the mailbox in given interval and then process and delete the emails, the only gain I see is that the reply-to (and/or from email address) email address will be your own domain's instead of atlassian.net.

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Priyendu,

The JSD mail handler is the best option for JSD projects because you can see the logs to understand when a ticket is not created or when a comment is not added, for example.
You can use the Jira Core handler for Service Desk, but JSD mail handler it's better to manage, to configure and to troubleshoot.
Also, using the Jira Core handler, you will have to use a default reporter, but with JSD handler the customer will be the reporter and it's better to communicate with them, JSD has specific notifications for customers that you can customize.

Regards,
Angélica

I guess I did not make myself clear, I am using the default email handler, that is working well for me and there is no reason I should be looking for something else right now.

My question was related to custom email address for a project. By default I get one atlassian.net domain email address for the project. I have option of using a custom email address too.

Why would using a custom email address be better or why I should not be using it?

The obvious advantage I see is that I get a copy of each response my customers sent in my email archives. I want to know the arguments against it.

Thank you for the details Priyendu and sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you were using the default mail handler of Jira Core and not the default email on the SD project.

Well, the default email (the one with atlassian.net) it's better because once you enable it and it's already working, you don't need to worry about any other setting, you just need to choose the request type.

The custom email address is something that maybe you will have to check things like network, SSL, firewall, ports, for example, and sometimes you may face many errors when creating the connection between Jira and the mail server, mainly if you use Office365.
The only advantage of custom email is the one you mentioned, that you can check the inbox and also have a customized email address.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Desk

The Complete Guide to Atlassian for ITSM

Hi Atlassian Community! This is Teresa from the Atlassian team. My colleague Paul Buffington @Buff and I are excited to share a brand new ITSM resource we’ve created – "The Complete Guide to At...

2,213 views 14 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you