Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't a ticket watcher comment on a ticket?

Dave Gunn November 12, 2019

Hi all.  One of our user's contacted me stating that they couldn't comment on a ticket they were a watcher in.  I noticed when I changed the ticket reporter to be said user, then they could comment in the ticket (from one of the e-mail updates).  

When we first tried it, the list of issues in the top right, showed only their reported issues, I guess that stands to reason.  However when we searched for the ticket number from the user's portal, it wouldn't let us view it, as if the ticket didn't exist.

Any ideas other than adding the user as an administrator?

I've Googled the issue and looked in documentation but nothing specifically pops up about this.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Dave Gunn November 12, 2019

I'm not certain that they come under the umbrella of 'customer'.  They are one of our Servicedesk users.  We did click on 'requests' although frankly I'm not sure that 'all' was selected.  However we did do a search of the ticket number by typing the number in the search bar and nothing appeared, as if the ticket didn't exist.  I will check the permissions you have mentioned. 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

So that I’m clear is this user a “customer” and do they happen to have a JSW user license? They are a “watcher” and not a “request participant” correct?

For JSD, Customers who are made “Request participant” should be able to comment by replying to the email notifications or going to the portal. Additionally they should be able to see the issue by clicking on “Requests” button in the upper right corner. They will need to ensure they have selected created by “all”. 

If the user is in fact a Customer that also has a JSW user license then they can be made a Watcher so they receive notifications. They will be able to comment on issues they are watching IF they are in a role/group that has Comment permissions (project settings > permissions > Comment)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Please keep reply within this thread by using “reply” vs. “answer” button.

In the portal you cannot search by issuekey. 
Are you an admin of the project? If so please look at “customers” and search for the user in question to determine if they are a Customer or not. 
Please also check to see if in fact they are a “Watcher” or “Request participant” by viewing the issue within the application (not portal) and checking these two fields.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events