Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are characters added automatically when I "Edit Default Value" in a custom wiki markup field?

Lynn Shriver November 20, 2017

Specifically, the link to the Edit Default Value option is on the Configure Custom Field page under Default Configuration Scheme.

I have created a custom field to test wiki markup.  I've gone into Configure Custom Field, then to the Edit Default Value, and in the Set Custom Field Defaults page I've added some sample info:

*This text should be bold.*
-This text should be deleted-

It appears on my Issue Screen correctly as:

Markup Example 1.png

When I go back into the Edit Default Value without making any changes, what appears as the input is:

<p><b>This text should be bold.</b><br/>
<del>This text should be deleted</del></p>

Without making changes, if I click "Set Default" to save this, it displays on my Issue Screen incorrectly as:

Markup Example 2.png

So if I need to adjust what is in the Edit Default Value, I end up recreating the input, instead of adding to it.

What am I doing wrong?

I am still new to this product, so if additional information is needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure you're doing anything wrong, but let me try to explain what I think I understand about this situation so far.

By setting a default value for a custom field, all issues that have this field will use that value when the issue is created, unless some other value is being entered at the time the issue is created.   In this case it sounds like you have a text field of some sort that is expected to handle the wiki style markup, like a description field.

It sounds like Jira is using the wiki style renderer on this field.   This renderer is what converts the *text* or _example_ codes into HTML formatting for when the page is actually displayed in the browser. 

So far I can't seem to reproduce the behavior you are describing here.  I would like to know more though.  For example, could you let me know what renderer is being used for this specific field?  To check this you would need to go into the System Gear icon -> Issues -> Field Configurations, then under the field configuration in use, select configure.  Then find the field in question here and see what Renderer is being used here.   I'm expecting this to be either Default or Wiki Style Renderer.   When mine was in Default, I just saw the text no HTML tags anywhere.  But when I flipped this to wiki style, the field then began to show the formatted text.

I still can't seem to get the HTML tags to show in the default field value, so I'm not sure how you are managing to do that.

Could you also let me know if this is Jira Cloud or Jira Server.  And if this is Jira Server, please let me know what version you are using.

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events