Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find the explanation/definition of the different Jira Service Desk statuses?

CLAUDIA MARCELA MORENO BUITRAGO September 16, 2020

Hello,

Please I would like to know where I can find the explanation/definition of the different Jira Service Desk statuses.

Declined

Waiting for support

Waiting for customer

Pending

Canceled

Escalated

Waiting for approval

Awaiting CAB approval

Planning

Awaiting implementation

Implementing

Peer review / change manager approval

Work in progress

Completed

Under investigation

Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

Hi @CLAUDIA MARCELA MORENO BUITRAGO ,

I could list them for you how I see them but I'm assuming you need a standard explanation.

They are however how you fill them out yourselves and most are somewhat self explanatory.

- Completed: the task is "completed"

-Waiting for approval: well.. waiting to be approved..

On resource I could link you to tho would be the best practice documentation of Atlassian

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver041/best-practices-for-it-teams-using-jira-service-desk-969531331.html 

The ones you list tho seem to be mainly from Problem and Change Management? Are you familiar with those ITIL processes?

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your reply.

What is the difference between "Waiting for support" and "Pending" statuses?

BR,

Claudia

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

Hi @CLAUDIA MARCELA MORENO BUITRAGO ,

"Waiting for support" is normally used when the issue is already worked on and for example went in to "Waiting for Customer".

If the customer then replies the issue goes to "Waiting for support" so they know they have a reply and need to pick up the issue again.

This is different from "Open" which would signal that it was just created. So pretty much an intermediate step when the ticket goes to a customer for additional information and comes back to the "support".

"Pending" is different as it will ask you for a "pending reason" and these reasons could be lot of different things (and also customizable):

- pending supplier/delivery/order/change/...

often there is also a distinction between these 2 in SLA. "Waiting for customer" normally pauses the SLA as you cannot be penalized when the customer waits to answer, while a Pending state it continues to count as the Customer should not be impacted by an internal pending state (those should be calculated in to your SLA goals)

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Like Arun Kumar likes this

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your support with regards to this topic.

As far as I understand:

Pending: Work has stopped on the issue because more details are needed from a third party.

Waiting for customer: The customer must provide more details about the issue.

In progress: The issue is being actively worked on at the moment by the assignee.

Waiting for support: The issue is already worked on but currently it is not being actively processed.

Is this correct?

BR,

Claudia

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

Hi Claudia,

Pending is a bit more nuanced than that, it's more like Pending something that is not the Customer. Could be an internal process, or a 3rd party. But normally this does not pause the SLA as it is not customer facing.

Waiting for customer: indeed, you are waiting on feedback from the customer

In Progress: Actively being worked on.

Waiting for support: correct, it is waiting to be picked up again and moved to in progress. This makes it easy to identify that a client has replied/provided feedback but it is not moved immediately to In progress because the agent did not acknowledge it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

You'll need to ask the people who designed the workflows you are using.

Some of these are distributed as part of the default workflows Jira provides (mostly intended as starting points) and they have names that have been designed to be self-explanatory.  Your list has some that your admins have added, and they've also tried to use self-explanatory terms.

For example:

Waiting for customer - it means you are waiting for a customer to do something

Work in progress - someone is working on it

Declined - someone has said you won't be doing it

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your reply.

What is the difference between "Waiting for support" and "Pending" statuses?

BR,

Claudia

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

That depends on what your admins might be intending them to mean.  Probably worth looking at them in the context of the workflow using them.

My guess when I've seen them is that "waiting for support" is waiting for support to do something and move the issue along.  Pending often means "pending something neither support nor the customer have control over" and probably should not be counted towards an SLA.  "Pending next release of software" or "Pending legal team checks" for example.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

I find it odd that you would not count a Pending 3rd party towards your SLA..

If support does not have control over what is "pending" or they did not agree on a proper SLA towards that supplier then it's poor SLM imho.

If this is pending something internal (change/release/..) then it might breach and that is also ok.. that way you can at least see why it took longer than you originally anticipated and adjust accordingly. Otherwise your legal team for example could take weeks to check and the customer is left holding the bag and waiting.

Then again there is always the discussion whether you "resolve" an incident when you move in the change or release management process or whether you keep the issue open till it has been implemented/released.

but that's a discussion that we can keep having till the end of days :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

Just one of the real-world examples I've run into - some people want to do it that way.  If you're waiting for someone else to release software for example, then why should their time be counted against the performance?  Neither the agent nor the customer are counting.

0 votes
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

Hello Claudia,

You can view the link between them by Viewing the Workflow :

1. Select a specific ticket by clicking on its ID or on its summary.
  2. On the screen, clic on "View Workflow"

Capture d’écran 2020-09-16 à 11.47.41.png

This will display the link between the different status and will help you understand how they work.

Let me know if it helped you or not,

Guilhem

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events