What happened to creating a customer directly on the Portal page?

Richard Saffell February 12, 2015

Version 2.2.1 of Service Desk seems to have removed the ability to create a Customer account directly on the Customer Portal page.  Now we have to go to the People > Customers page and create the Customer before going to the Portal to open an issue for someone else.  And it doesn't look like Service Desk Agents have permission to create Customers that way, so an administrator has to create the Customer for them.

Why did this change, and is it coming back?

3 answers

3 votes
Hanh Pho
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2015

Hi @Richard Saffell,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. And the feature you're talking about is planned to be released in Service Desk v2.3. We accidentally enabled it in v2.2.0 and that's why we disabled it in v2.2.1. 

Sorry for making you confused smile. It's gonna be back on v2.3.

2015-02-16 09-40-28.jpg

Richard Saffell February 16, 2015

Great, thanks. Should I open a support Issue regarding the fact that it seemed to be adding Customers to the jira-users group?

Hanh Pho
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2015

@Richard Saffell Yes, please. That would be awesome. Thanks :)

maccamlc_old_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2015

Hi @Richard Saffell Sorry for the confusion here. As @Hanh Pho mentioned, this feature was designated for release in 2.3.0 and was unfortunately enabled prematurely in 2.2.0, before being completely polished. If possible, I would recommend retesting the jira-users group behaviour once 2.3.0 is available. If you still see this issue at that time, please raise a support request as it is not expected behaviour, and we could dig deeper to see when this is occurring and what types of users it is happening with. Regards Matt

Richard Saffell February 17, 2015

@Matthew McMahon : I had already created a ticket before seeing your post. Besides, we won't be upgrading to 2.3.0 because we're moving to a different Support system solution.

Alex Timofeyev February 17, 2015

Is there an ETA for 2.3? This functionality that sneaked into 2.2.0 was very important for us.

0 votes
Richard Saffell February 14, 2015

One thing I did notice recently is that adding a Customer from the Portal page seemed to add the Customer to the jira-users group, which was a really bad thing for access/permissions reasons. Adding them through the People > Customers page doesn't add them to the jira-users group.

0 votes
Hanh Pho
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2015

Hi @Richard Saffell,

In Service Desk v2.0+, you can turn on public customer signup for portals by:

JIRA Administration > Add-ons > JIRA Service Desk Configuration > Turn on Public Signup

system_level.jpg

And then public signup for portal level:

portal_level.jpg

Then customer will see the signup link when they access the portal:

portal signup.jpg

Richard Saffell February 13, 2015

Hanh, Thanks for the information, but I'm not talking about customers creating their own Service Desk customer accounts when they create an Issue. I'm referring to when you click the Customer Portal as a Service Desk Agent, and you have the Raise this request on behalf of drop down box, and you can no longer create a Customer directly from there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events