Turn off Service Desk Portal per Project

Michael Gaskin December 1, 2017

Hi.

I've got two SD projects, one for the Help Desk and the other for more Application Focused.  We're ready to go live with the end-user portal for the Help Desk, but not the App focused one.  I've dug around but I can't seem to find a place to simply turn off the end-user portal for just one project.  I'm fairly new, so apologies for the noob question.

- Michael

10 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2017

Hi Michael,

Quick cheat....just hide all the request types for the one that you want hidden and/or Remove all the customers from the customer team on the one you want hidden.

Hope that helps

Susan

Michael Gaskin December 1, 2017

Well, of course you can hide them... duh!  <smiles>  Nice catch... Didn't even cross my mind.  Not perfect, but like you said, its a quick cheat.

Thanks!

Kerry Kelly November 27, 2018

:) solved my problem!

Muhammad Bilal June 6, 2019

Hey it will Hide all the request type, but how about the project name that are already listed on the main portal, i want to hide them all and not to show to our clients. The client  should see only his portal service desk

Like # people like this
sig September 29, 2020

This answer should really not be accepted as it does not solve the problem.

Like # people like this
22 votes
Daniel Westgate August 7, 2019

This works for cloud, so i guess it would be the same for server.

If you want to delete a project, so that is cant been seen or actioned via the customer portal, then change the permission scheme, and this will delete the project visabilityfrom the portal, and the ability to raise tickets via the portal.

• go to permissions schemes, find the project you want to edit and click permissions.
  • You should then see a permission called "Browse Projects" click remove, this will give you the option to remove "Service Desk Customer - Portal Access".
  • Once done refresh your portal and like magic the project has gone.

hope it works for you like it did for us.

farabitarhan August 29, 2019

Thank you, it worked for me.

This is the answer that is perfect.

Like # people like this
Lluis Benet May 4, 2020

Hello,

either they changed the way it worked but even though I removed the: "Service Desk Customer - Portal Access" as you said, it keeps showing it in the customer portal.

Any other idea?

Thanks

Like # people like this
Madhu Reddy May 14, 2020

Removing the portal access Permission works only when we have One Live Project..

And In my case I have 2 live projects and I completely want to hide the presence of other project to Customer...

Is there any work around for this. @Daniel Westgate @Michael Gaskin 

Like # people like this
Dan W June 8, 2020

If you remove everybody from the Service Desk Customer Role it should remove it from the portal.  They should only see the portals for Service Desk projects they have access to.

Like Jamie White likes this
Jamie White June 28, 2023

TY. This last step worked for me and allowed me to keep the projects we didn't want to display and also didn't want to delete. 

21 votes
Jeff Wynne August 26, 2021

This should not be this hard. A simple show/hide toggle should be available.

9 votes
AJ Barks - Old Street
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2023

Still relevant in 2023.... 😬 yikes!

I was messing around with a new portal (JSM Cloud!) and was able to switch if off through Customer Permissions... no sweat.

It's cool cause I can still see it and do all my testing; although if someone was already added to it, they could still see it and I'd had to go through the whole debacle of removing them or changing Group Permissions.

No idea if this is the same for On Prem but hope this helps people

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 15.22.55.png

Katie Pickrell April 26, 2023

This is what I did and it worked like a charm! Was able to prevent certain people from seeing it and allow others to. 

Like AJ Barks - Old Street likes this
4 votes
Philipp Schmiedel August 16, 2021

I want to provide another solution that seems to be working for us. We needed an internal ServiceDesk project that should not be visible in any way for our customers (including the main portal landing page).

Solved it with this setup:

• Customer permissions > Service project access needs to be set to "Customers added by agents and admins" to prevent the project to appear for everyone on the landing portal page (even if you hide all request types)
  • All our internal colleagues are member of one of the default Jira permission groups confluence-users or jira-software-users. So you can add these as Customers to your ServiceDesk projects -> everyone with a Jira or Confluence license will have access (which should not be your customers)
    Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 09.06.41.png

I know this solution has some limits, but was the best workaround in our case.

Andy Greenwood November 22, 2021

Hi Philipp, I want to say thanks for this. You gave me the insight to solve my problem to restrict portal access.

Much appreciated.

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2022

This got my vote!  I like this solution as also mitigates the error message received when viewing the project.  In my case since this is an internal IT service desk, our customers are our service management users.  Non service management users cant see it and its allows our internal IT team (service management users) to create issues from the portal if they would like. 

Carter June 15, 2022

@Julian Governale I have followed the above and still as a logged-in customer, I am able to see our internal service desk portal. Could you please provide the steps to hiding that from the external customer view? I appreciate your help.

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2022

For trouble shooting, can you confirm the below

• Customer permissions set to "Customers added by agents and admins"
  • Is the user you logged in as currently a customer in the project?
    • On the project navigation - under the Channels & People section, click customers to review the current customers allowed to access your project
  • Is the customer you logged in as a user in one or both groups jira-software users or confluence-users?
    • If yes on the above, then this solution wouldn't work since those groups are allowed to see the project
Like Carter likes this
Carter June 15, 2022

Thank you @Julian Governale  for such a prompt response. Please see my answers below:

1. Yes

2. Yes, the user I am logged in as, is currently a customer in the project.

3. I assigned the user as a member of the jira-service-management role.

I would like to use a new email address to add a new customer, but given all the changes I have made thus far, I am bit confused now as it is still not working.

Would you be so kind to outline the steps for me to add a new customer to the project—so this customer would only see their customer portal and not all the other projects like the attached.

I would like this user to only be able to see the "Carter project" and nothing else.

Picture1.png

Thank you for your help.

Carter June 21, 2022

Figured this out. For anyone having this issue, simply go to all your projects and ensure that the permissions set to "Customers added by agents and admins" for ALL your projects. That did the trick. Thanks for your help Julian. 

1 vote
Timo Fitzner March 1, 2023

There is a simple Solution. IDK for how long but it is a hide function. 

Just open your Portal URL -> click on customize -> Edit Homepage layout.

From there you can hide unused Portals. 

Brian Shipe March 1, 2023

Thank you for adding your comment! I think that's new and is a MUCH easier solution.

Like Timo Fitzner likes this
Timo Fitzner March 1, 2023

Definitely. 

I was looking for ages to hide Portals and there it was. The holy grail :D 

Brandy Beerens March 1, 2023

Its new it wasn't there the last time I looked. Its about time!! :)

1 vote
Brandy Beerens June 4, 2021

Removing "Service Desk Customer - Portal Access" from the projects permissions for Browse Projects worked for me. Thank you!

Brian Shipe October 22, 2021

This worked for me. Thanks!

Like Brandy Beerens likes this
Johannes Ludloff November 10, 2021

Worked for us as well! Only downside is that we receive the following error.

2021-11-10 10_29_06-Window.jpg

Andrew Lee July 17, 2023

Does anyone know how to disable these popups?

struk October 26, 2023

Does anyone know how to disable these popups?

0 votes
struk October 26, 2023

is there any way to just turn off portal access for specific project  ?

0 votes
Ellen Beentjes February 3, 2021

I work in a next gen project and can't remove customers. Don't know if that is related. Still looking for a solution to close the portal. Any other suggestions?

0 votes
Prasen Gope December 4, 2020

Nothing worked for me. So I had to hide the project to be invisible on the portal. Wish they had a switch to toggle on and off for portal visibility. That should not be that hard! Click here for a step-by-step guide.

The other way is to change the project type from Service Management to a regular software project but for that, you have to create a new project and move all the issues to the new one which is very time-consuming. 

Hope that helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events