Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training Request Types

mcarrera October 16, 2020

Hi Everyone!

I'm TOTALLY new to Jira and we're beginning the process of setting up our Service Desk and thinking though how we want to structure things.

We have a Training team that's a part of our IT group here, and we have traditionally included them in our ticketing process.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to deal with "training ticket/request types" when setting up and structuring Jira?

It all seems very problem/incident/resolution focused, and training tickets tend to work a bit differently than your typical "service desk" ticket type.

Ok, thank you for any help you might have!

2 answers

0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2020

@mcarrera 

We have found you can use JSD for just about anything so setting it up to track training should be easy. You can create for example an issue type to do with training and then create a custom workflow associated with that issue type that is for people doing the training. It could have some custom fields etc to do with training.

mcarrera October 19, 2020

Thanks for your reply Arthur! The custom fields actually REALLY interest me.

As I wrote to Carlos (above) we'd love to be able to track our entire relationship with our users. So things like - what training classes they have attended, what sorts of "certifications" they have achieved, what training materials they have been sent and/or accessed, appointment times, notes on how a training session went (notes about the user's technical ability),  automated followups, etc.

So I'm not sure how much of that could be included in a ticket, but if even some of that could get added in, that would be a huge step!

Thanks!

Like Arthur Mack likes this
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2020

@mcarrera  Yes you can add custom fields and we have for some of for training projects like training freq., when re-certification is due etc etc. We use JIRA automation to look at dates  to update the training issues and notify people.  Trust me you can do it all in JIRA and even re-open the workflow if they need to get re-trained. The only limit is your imagination. You may also want to look at a great addon called proforma which will allow you to add unlimited forms to just one issue.

Art

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Hi @mcarrera ,

I have a few questions to get more context:

1) When you mean training requests tickets, do you mean requests for the different training sessions that your company (or your department) offers?

2) What information is needed in the request (I'm thinking of what fields in the request would be needed)?

3) Is there a different workflow for these tickets compared to the other service desk tickets (i.e the different steps that the ticket follows from 'open' to 'done')?

Although I agree that Service Desk seems more typical to raise issues, you can also use it for training requests. In Service Desk you can create a queue dedicated to the training requests tickets and you can even create a board, but I can give more details if you can share more details about the information needed in the request as well as the workflow/process that those tickets should follow. Thanks!

mcarrera October 19, 2020

Hi Carlos,

Thanks so much for your reply!!! So, as we were talking about this on our team, it almost seems like a CRM (Salesforce being the most well known) would be better for what we're after.

We'd love to be able to track our entire relationship with our users. So things like - what training classes they have attended, what sorts of "certifications" they have achieved, what training materials they have been sent and/or accessed, appointment times, notes on how a training session went (notes about the user's technical ability),  automated followups, etc.

Essentially, we're not interested in the same ITSM/ITIL framework as our service desk proper. A ticket for them is mostly issue->resolution. For us, tickets are often a journey to help someone learn something, and along the way uncovering what the person's REAL questions and issues are (if that makes sense).

So, the reason I posted here is that most of the tutorial and demos I've been watching about Jira Service Desk are very "traditionally" service desk oriented. And since we're just getting going with all of this, I wasn't sure how flexible and/or to what extent the system could accommodate "non-traditional" ticket types and information.

Thanks!

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2020

Hmm... you could get this with Service Desk but you'd have to customize the project and it may not be the most efficient (or friendly to the user) solution.  You could use the Service Desk to process requests for training, but to know what trainings they've attended, or certifications that they've accomplished, or feedback information, you should find a database where that information is already stored and from where you can query. For some information, such as certifications accomplished, I think it'd be weird to ask people to enter a Service Desk request.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events