Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling between Service Desk portal only users of Atlassian Based

Eric Gemme April 17, 2018

Hello,

I was about to go live with a Server to Cloud migration and hit a annoyance.   Our Server instance is configured to interact with Windows Active Directory so all of our internal users can user their windows profile to log new requests in Service Desk.   This made all requests to be filed under their familiar username.  So for the approvers,  shares, etc.

Now with Service Desk in the Cloud I gave up the idea of linking Active Directory as SAML is too expensive and not giving a good ROI.   

So it turned out that internal customers with either be Portal Only Customers or Atlassian Users.   Each option have their annoyance:

1.  Inviting customer to portal only breaks the relation with prior request since the option creates a random type username,  much looking like a GUID.

2.  Inviting customers to a full Atlassian User keeps all the request history properly linked but enroll these to annoying ads such as Stride,  or "tell us what you think" type of emails.

It there anyone here having a breakthrough idea on how to tackle this:

Shoud I:

1. Consider moving users to portal only while still on my Server instance and pray that this will handle the request remapping.   I read this is a long time request from users,  but no clues about whether or not it will work.

2. Go ahead anyways with Atlassian User base and warn user to unsubscribe OR  find a way to onboard users without subscribing them.

Thansk in advance

2 answers

0 votes
Eric Gemme April 18, 2018

I now have a plan for one of my alternative,  but what about reverting classic JIRA Service Desk users to portal only customers w/o loosing relation to past requests/sharing/approvals ?

The opposite way is supported

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2018

Hi Eric,

I haven't seen (or realized I was seeing) ads for Stride or other applications on my Cloud accounts. While you can't do this for accounts en masse, users are able to disable the survey emails that go out from time to time.

Point them at https://comms.atlassian.io/ and they can opt out of some or all product-related emails including surveys.

Cheers,
Daniel

Eric Gemme April 18, 2018

I thought about telling them to unsubscribe but the link you provided me is really straight forward and I will sure add it to my welcome email package.

There's a checkbox to unsubscribe everything there

Cheers,
Eric

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events