cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shifting to AWS

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2019

Has anyone migrated to AWS for JIRA and Confluence?  How did the migration go and what did you do to plan for it?

3 answers

1 vote
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2019

Hi @Brant Schroeder ,

I have done this a couple times and it was always pretty much the same as any other migration, the fact that it was on AWS did not change anything on what I prepared, except a couple things specific to AWS like security managements (opening the right ports for the application). 

Are you looking for answers on a particular subject for this migration, like how to setup the VMs or database in AWS ?

Let me know if you have any questions,

—Alexis

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2019

Alexis - not anything specific just looking for some insights on anything that were out of the ordinary of that one should be aware of that is specific to AWS.  How large were the instances that you migrated?

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2019

Hi @Brant Schroeder , 

the biggest instance was 250 users, and the main issue was the LDAP connection to an AD, but this was not really on my scope as another team was in charge of it.

Overall, you're really just waiting for your XML exports or SQL dumps to transfer to AWS, this can take some thime depending on how big your data is in Jira and Confluence.

For us, the biggest file was a 20GB sql dump, took a few hours to transfer.

Let me know if you have any questions, 

--Alexis

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2019

Thanks

0 votes
Emily Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi @Brant Schroeder and @Alfredo Negrete ! I'm Emily, a product manager at Atlassian.

We've just built the beta of a solution to help ease migrations from Server/Data-Center-on-prem to Data-Center-on-AWS-Quickstarts.

Would you be interested to join our beta program and try out this solution? If you're interested, or would like to find out more, please email me at echan@atlassian.com. 

0 votes
Alfredo Negrete December 18, 2019

@Alexis Robert , I'm planning on migrating our on-prem Jira Server to AWS...you indicate that you used the regular installation procedures.  

1. I read an entry that indicates you can't just download the software, in this case Jira Server,  and install it?  

2. did you also have to migrate the database, SQL, on AWS?

3. Our system currently runs as a Service on our VM servers, would it be the same on AWS?

Thanks,

Fred

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events