Setting default OPT-IN for customer notifications.

Luca Deboli April 12, 2018

Hi to all!

i'm using Kantega SSO plug-in so all my ad users are added to Jira directory in order to access Jira Service Desk as customers and agents.

All of my customer users have as default "Don't notify me" so they do not get via email of all agent's shared comment.

How can i change as admin the default customer behaviour? i need that all customers get an email notification as soon as an agent writes a public comment.

Thanks in advance for your kind support.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2018

Service Desk notifications to users in the customer role work completely differently than notifications sent to Jira Core, Jira Software, and/or Jira Service Desk Agents.   I would recommend checking out the KB JIRA Service Desk Notification explanation for more details.

Because these users in the customer role are not technically licensed Jira users, they can't use the core notification method.  To get past this, Service Desk has it's own notification settings for customers.  

However when I'm looking at these settings, I don't see any option for a user in the customer role to disable notifications.  I believe the setting you are looking at is in regards to a Jira Core user's personal profile that can allow them to opt out of notifications that would have been triggered by their own actions in Jira.   Service Desk customers won't use this setting anyway.

Are you sure that your service desk customers are not actually getting email notifications of changes to Service Desk issues?

Luca Deboli April 17, 2018

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply.

Our customers get email notifications of changes to SD issues, they do not receive our comment VIA EMAIL when we, as agents, click on "Share with customer".

Since they are not always on the SD portal, i'd like that they get an email notification when the agent asks a question or want to clarify something via SD comments.

If our customers click on "Get notifications" they receive emails regarding the issue (as seen in the attached screenshot).

jira.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2018

Hi Luca,

Thanks for clarifying the problem here further.   However I still have some questions and concerns about this.    In my testing of this, I found that I could not find a way to change the default notification option for customers.   In my instance, this is always enabled by default, and I cannot seem to find any way to change this default behavior.

Each time as a customer I would create an issue, it would automatically for me, enable notifications for this issue.   Granted that user can choose the option to 'Don't Notify me' for that specific request, but I could not seem to find a way in which you could default set this otherwise.

I am curious to learn more about:

1. your specific version of Service Desk,
  2. when this problem started?
  3. are you running any other user plugins with Jira, or have any scripts within Jira that might be altering the default behavior?
  4. Does this happen for all service Desk projects?  Or just this one?

Could you also navigate to the project in question, go to the project administration page, select 'customer notifications' and then see if you can edit this Default rule for Request created.  I'm interested to see if this looks like mine, or if your instance might have an altered default here:

requestcreated.png

reqcreat2.png

Please let me know.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events