Service Desk customer portal restricted

Admin February 21, 2018

We are experiencing many issues with SERVICE DESK because:

we need to offer customer support via mail for multiple customer
we have multiple customer portal
BUT
if we set that portal is restricted to customer base portal is hidden to other customers but, we can’t receive mail by new users and we need to activate them one by one manually

if we set has anyone can raise requests by mail , portal is visible to all customers

....at this point my question is who is managing development and fix of JIRA PERMISSIONS? It’s a complete mess, not because it’s modular it’s a mess.

Anyone is able to suggest me a solution for this?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2018

When you restrict a customer portal on service desk, it does just that.  Access to that service desk is restricted to your JSD agents, and only customers that have been added to that specific project.  That is how it is supposed to work.

I understand it can be very tedious to try to invite each user one by one, however when Jira is processing email, it is doing so based solely on the from email address of the sender.  Hence for this to work correctly, Jira needs to have the correct email address for that user account.  That's one reason that the invite method is preferred, it requires that the end user actually gets the email at that address and in turn they can then create there account in Jira.

But there are other ways that you could add these users to this Jira Service Desk project without the invite.

One of these is that if you can have all your users in an LDAP instance, you could connect your Jira to this instance as a means to get those user accounts in Jira.  From there you could then assign each of these users into a default group, and then add that specific group to the project roles.  There is a relate thread on this in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/How-do-I-use-LDAP-authentication-for-Service-Desk-2-Customers/qaq-p/440792

However if you do not have these users in an LDAP instance that you can connect Jira to, that method won't really help.

If these users already exist in your Jira (say for other service desk projects on this same Jira instance), you can still add these users to a specific 'restricted-customer-group' in the User management of Jira, and then add that group to the Customer role of that restricted project.  That is another way to add these users to this project without having to use the invite function.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events