Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk Widget and Wordpress

Martin Natterer December 29, 2018

Hi, my question is: Are there any experiences around with embedding the service desk widget in a wordpress page?

Whe i tried to embedd it the code just disappeared. Alternatively there seemed to be no pre-configured third party widget around to serve as a kind of carrier for the jira service desk widget.

In addition: In case "nothing works", would someone be capable to produce a widget particularly designed for wordpress integration?

MMN (Switzerland)

2 answers

1 vote
Martin Natterer January 9, 2019

Hi Maarten, 

it is actually "both and"... :

YES: Server is part of our infrastructure. Actually a few of them.

NO: Cloud is being concentrated at present to become one singualr "main instance" as of beginning of February.

STILL: The embeddable widget somehow "did not work". Give you a hint of where the Problem lies:

"Generate the code and copy it to your web page(s). If you update options later, we'll automatically update the widget. No need to re-copy the code."

"copy it to your Webpage".

Wordpress works (if I am not mistaken) differently: You "buiöd" a custom-made widget (or take one form the Elaborate catalogue of WP), install (!) the widget… and then use it.

"copy it to your Webpage" would ask (in my view) for a re-working of the WordPress blog, using individual CSS. Quite an effort, I should think. Though some do. 

Best solution: Build an INSTALLABLE widget and integrate it into the catalogue of WordPress!

All of Atlassian is underrated there anyway. 

Best regards

Martin

1 vote
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2018

Hi Martin,

If you're on Jira Cloud I have good news, embedding was released as a feature about a year ago, learn more about it here.

But since you couldn't figure it out yet, I'm assuming you are on Server. In that case the feature is still open, you can vote on it though: JSDSERVER-23.

There is a Marketplace App that offers the ability already on server but it isn't free: Embeddable.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2019

@Maarten Cautreels

The article you referenced doesn't seem to cover the Wordpress use case.  Do you have any documentation for embedding the widget on a Wordpress page?

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2019

Hi Trevan,

The article is system agnostic and should work for most platforms that support widgets. I haven't tested it with Wordpress myself but I would imagine it to work as well.

Best,

Maarten

Digital Doom March 1, 2020

@Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_ 

I'm a bit late to the party but was looking for the same answer and I found a "workaround" in the process!  If you're comfortable editing the html documents of your wordpress install, you can add the script to your template's "head.php" file right before "</head>".  Editing the widget in JIRA will automatically update so you don't need to generate new code with every update.

1. Select the Customize menu option in the left sidebar
  2. Click CSS/HTML Editor
  3. Under Theme Files in the right sidebar, click the arrow next to templates under which you'll find the head.php file
  4. Paste your script before the closing </head> tag and save!
Like raphael_irinoye likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events