Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk Queue Columns are way too wide, all of the sudden

Mike Loux November 27, 2018

Not sure when this happened (likely over the Thanksgiving break), but all of the sudden my Jira Service Desk queues are all taking up way too much horizontal space, to the point where the last column (labels) wraps, despite there being large amounts of empty space in all of the other columns.  The queue looks fine and compact in Edit mode, but when I view the results, it's ridiculously spaced out.  Any way to auto-size columns to fit their content, or whatnot?  The view as it is now kind of sucks.  

EDIT:  Updating to the latest version of Chrome worked for about a day.  It also initially worked in Edge, but now looks the same.  So...yeah, this isn't a browser issue.  

Edit queue looks fine:

edit-queue-looks-fine.png

The actual queue view, however, looks awful:

view-queue-looks-awful.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Maura Swart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2018

I logged a support issue and received the following response.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Allow me to share with you that JIRA Service Desk queues are being updated and you will notice a few updates on them as well on the next weeks. I have discussed that internally with our team and that spacing on the columns it's an expected behavior on the new UI in order to enable new functionalities in the future.

Anyway, allow me to share with you that I went ahead and created a feature request related to giving the user the ability to resize the columns. Allow me to share with you the link to the public suggestion that we have created:

In line with our Feature Request Policy, we'd suggest you vote for it as well as setting yourself as a watcher in order to hear about updates on the development cycle.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2018

Thanks for posting here @Maura Swart.

Mike Loux December 10, 2018

Appreciate the heads-up. Thanks, Maura!

A little annoyed that they pulled this crap: "We changed something without warning that makes your experience worse, but we'll graciously give you the ability to request that we un-suckify it down the road, and we might even consider it." 

Now, I have actually seen feature requests (eventually) get implemented, but...I'm not thrilled about having to probably wait several years to see it happen.  

I'll pass the link on to my team and ask that they upvote it.  Thanks again!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2018

Cloud is continually going thru revisions and they have a large initiative on reworking Cloud now so it is going to be rocky I expect but I also believe that there will be some great things that come from it. I'm sure I won't feel that way about everything that changes. Server is a better option for those that require a more controlled change environment.

Like Mike Loux likes this
Mike Loux December 10, 2018

True enough.  SaaS in general tends to be pretty transient.  It's a little frustrating that most companies in SaaS seem to ignore the public's negative response (looking at you, Facebook) and just expect people to accept it as the norm. 

Then again, SW companies in general (SaaS or otherwise) seem to ignore what the public wants these days, anyway, especially the gaming industry (*cough* Fallout 76 *cough* Diablo Immortal *cough*), so perhaps Atlassian is just following the trend.  :-D 

There are definite exceptions, though.  I hate to say it, but Microsoft's Azure DevOps, formerly known as VSTS, seems to have a better way of handling updates like this, but then again they are a true Enterprise solution, so that kind of abrupt change would not go over so well with larger clients.  Never thought I would hear myself defending Microsoft, but there we are.  

And, yeah, an on-prem solution would have been more stable, but then you have to self-host and maintain, which isn't always a palatable option for some companies.  Trade off...

0 votes
Maura Swart
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2018

Does anyone else have a different answer to this issue?  We noticed this problem recently but switching browsers has not resolved it.  Our analysts now have to scroll horizontally when they are displaying their queues - all the columns used to display nicely on their screens.

Mike Loux December 5, 2018

I'm glad it's not just me, then.  On Monday this issue came back for me, even in the latest and greatest version of Chrome.  And I just loaded Edge and it's doing the same thing there as well. 

So...yeah, is there a way to un-resolve an issue?  

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2018

@Mike Loux, can you provide a screenshot? I am not seeing this in my instance. Have you tried different browsers?

Good catch.  We're using an older version of Chrome (mandated by IT).  I just tried it on Edge and it looks fine.  *sigh*.  I hate Edge.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2018

lol....i hate edge to but then I'm a Mac user so use Safari and FF. 

Like Mike Loux likes this

I installed the portable version of Chrome.  Because screw Edge.  Much better.  All's well that ends well, and all that... :-P Anyway, thanks for the assist!  

See above.  No workee no more.  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

I tried Chrome Version 71.0.3578.80  and it seems ok to me as it does in FF and Safari. I still suspect this is a browser issue TBH. However, if you wish you could reach out to Atlassian Support.

and if you wish to un-accept an answer just click on the "Accepted Answer".

Yup.  Did some experimenting after the fact and was able to un-accept it.  Stack Overflow this is not... :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events