Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk Customers Can't Login To Portal

Vicky Blease June 14, 2018

Hi all,

Apologies if I've missed something obvious here... I'm currently investigating Jira Service Desk with the intention of rolling this out to my company in the not to distant future.

After reading documentation I'm now familiar with the concept of agents (licensed users) to manage issues, and customers (free users) who can access a project's portal to log issues defined to that project.

At the moment I'm trying to add demo customers to a project via Customers | *Click Organisation Name* | Add Customers. In doing so, the new customer receives an email inviting them to the portal with a form to set their password.

What's baffling me is the newly created customer login can't login after setting a new password. There's a few things I've noticed so far that I think worth mentioning:

1. The new customer isn't added automatically to the project role 'Service Desk Customers'

2. When I look at the permission scheme for the service desk project, the default settings refer to 'Service desk customer - portal access' but this doesn't appear to be a project role, rather I've read it's a 'security type'?

3. Under the project's 'Customer Permissions' I've selected 'Customers who are added to the project' under 'Who can raise requests'

4. I have configured Crowd to manage login between Jira and Service Desk. The user directory in Jira is read/write and the user does sync back to Crowd. I note there is nothing listed under 'Application Access' but as this is a portal only user I would expect this to be blank?

I have two instances of Jira that I've tested this with, one of which I've disabled Crowd completely so only using the internal directory, and I'm using various browsers and logins but I can't get a customer record to log in to the portal..

If anyone has any suggestions to rectify this I would be most grateful!

Many thanks for your time. Vicky.

1 answer

1 vote
Vicky Blease June 15, 2018

Should this come in handy for anyone in future, it came down to my Crowd configuration.

I didn't have a Crowd group for customers... I've created one called 'jira-customers' and included this in the application directory settings:

• Who can authenticate
  • Automatically assigned to

No extra config was required in Jira.

The customer can now log in to the portal. It's just a shame because although a customer is free in Jira service desk, I think this will add to the Crowd user licensing so there's a chance we will drop SSO altogether now due to this additional cost :/

Evanna McMahon November 9, 2018

Thanks Vicky, I just had the same issue and was not aware there needed to be a group setup in Crowd.

Like Vicky Blease likes this
Giedrius Zaronskis February 25, 2019

Hello, what steps needs to be taken on Crowd site to allow jira-users members to access Customer Portal?

Christian Muehlhaus August 23, 2019

Here is a screenshot, because I didn't find where to configure it at first.

'Who can authenticate' is to be taken literally here :-) 

JIRA_SERVICEDESK_CUSTOMER_GROUP.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events