SLAs and due date

Ludia Administrator September 18, 2014

Hi people,

i have a service desk in which i have issues that have due dates in a few days (even weeks). These issues will remain untouched by a technician until a few days before that due date. I currently have SLAs on these issue, but the SLAs starts as soon as the issue is created, so the SLAs are wrong.

How do you guys manage these situation? I can think of a few way to fix this, but i'm not sure which one is the best!

• Adding a status that "pause" my SLA, until the technician starts working on it, but it opens a door to the technician to put issues in a loop status that would permit him to bypass SLA.
  • Modify my JQL in SLA so it doesn't catch task with due dates (since the date is already the SLA)

What you guys think of that situation?

Thanks,

4 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2018

@Diogo_Barbosa, welcome to the community. It seems you are simply asking how to configure SLAs in JSW. In other words, there is not a JSD question here am I correct? If so, ideally this would have been a new post tagged under JSW. If not please tell me how JSD fits into your question here.

With that said you might consider leveraging an automation addon like Automation Lite for Jira Cloud. I haven't attempted but expect something could be fashioned to work but may require the paid version.

Diogo_Barbosa July 17, 2018

Thanks, that´s it, we need to configure SLA on JSW to give a fast answer according to SLA on SD (one depends on the other, right?)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2018

So now I believe I understand your situation to be the following:

Today you use JSD w/ SLAs. Some of the JSD issues require effort from say Development who use JSW. So, in order to keep the focus on the JSD SLA you want to ensure the JSW users are also "on the clock" by implementing some form of SLA on their assigned issues. You can create any countdown timer like JSD. You may be able to fashion an acceptable solution w/ automation but I'm betting ultimately you will need to use a scripting addon, e.g. Power Scripts or Scriptrunner. 

With that said, were it me, I would first look at simply leveraging JSD SLA to notify the developer when it is about to breech. When the JSW issue is created you could include the due date & time into a custom field and then using Automation in JSD send out a notification to the developer. 

0 votes
Diogo_Barbosa July 17, 2018

Please tell me if I am thinking correct:

1. SLA is controlled by the jira service desk
  2. JIRA software users does not have access to make filters through the SLA of the JIRA SD. (not without the license to JIRA SD)
  3. From what I've seen, there are people who use an automation to reflect the SLA on DUE DATE.
  4. Question: What is the standard way to work the SLA view for Jira SW members? 

Here at the company that i work we use Jira CLOUD. 

Thankful!
Ruth Ariel October 1, 2020

Hi @Diogo_Barbosa ,

I am having the same problem and can't find a solution.
Can you share how did you find a solution to this?

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

0 votes
Kevin_Leaverton November 23, 2015

Greetings,

After fighting with the "Extension" plugin, and not being pleased with the results, I decided to figure out how to handle this problem without the need for third-party add-ons.

What I've settled with pretty much comes down to this: due dates are a special case, and do not require an SLA. At least, not the default "Time to resolution" one. So I created an exclusion.

When defining SLAs, an issue is compared to each "goal" from top to bottom, until a match is found. So, what I did is add the following JQL goal to the top of my SLA (duedate is not EMPTY). The target time is empty.

Thus, any issue with a due date will not have an SLA at all.

Hopefully that helps someone. It took me a while to figure out that this problem is so easily fixed.

Scott Herrmann March 14, 2016

Nice.  This works for me as well.

0 votes
jon-paul cameron September 18, 2014

David - looking at the SLA, you just need to change the "start" point to not be Issue Created, but some other flag - you'll need to create a status for the technicians when they are ready to start work, for the SLA to then track. Makes sense?SLA change.PNG

Ludia Administrator September 18, 2014

Thanks @jon-paul cameron for the idea, it basically refers to my first point on my question. I'm scared with that solution that the tech. could move an issue without due date to that state, and stale the SLA without me knowing.

It's purely administrative, but i'm still curious if there's other ways to do this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events