Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

SAML integration for Jira Service Desk and Conflucence

Hello,

We just started to use Jira Service Desk and Confluence on premise. And we must integrate this to our SAML IDP (like dozen of other apps we support).

I'm not sure to understand how should I do this, there is many different doc and many different plugins that seems to do this.

Which one is the good one? I even see some Atlassian plugin like "SSO for Atlassian Server and Data Center" that are installed on my setup but seems to do nothing…

What is the recommended/official way to have SAML with Jira Service Desk and Confluence for a brand new infrastructure?

2 answers

Hi Bertrand,

maybe the first Question: Are you using Jira/Confluence Data-Center or the Server Version?

Atlassian Server

The Server Version does not have SAML at all, and there is nothing available from Atlassian for Server. Here you have to go the route of a 3rd Party Plugin like our SAML Single Sign On Suite of Plugins. 

There are certainly more vendors in the marketplace, using this search you should get a good overview: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=saml

Atlassian Data-Center

If you are using Data-Center, then there is some limited on-board SAML functionality which might be sufficient for you. The Setup is described here.

The DC SAML does not support things like:

- User Provisioning
- Enrypted Assertions
- Single Logout
- Multiple Identity Providers 

and some more specific functionality. If you need any of that, you are back so the same list of 3rd Party Apps.

--

If you would let us know a bit more about which IdP your are using and how you plan to get your Users into the Atlassian Application (LDAP or you need them created by the SAML Plugin) then I can give you some more advice.

Cheers,
Christian

Full disclosure: I work for resolution, a marketplace vendor

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, we are using Jira Service Desk only, so I supposed it's the Server version and I will have to go to third part solution (that's disturbing).

The IDP we use is VMware Identity Manager, we are really used to this solution and clearly have no issue with SAML (kind of advanced on this topics regarding the dozen of integrated service we have and our experience with other product integration teams).

The accounts will be provisioned by LDAP and it's currently working for both Jira Service Desk and Confluence.

What we need is a SAML login for both.

Hi!

Data-Center you would usually use when having a multi-node deployment. So you would probably know if it's DC. So yes Server is probably the fair assumption.

Working for such a 3rd Party vendor, I am sorry about being disturbing to you ..

Nevertheless, we have the most installed SAML Product across the Atlassian Applications and we are fully supporting Jira Servicedesk both for the SAML Agent Login, as well as customer login.

We don't provide a step-by-step Guide for VMware Identity manager but offer free Screenshare Support during the Installation via https://resolution.de/go/calendly

If you like to just have quick lock how the Plugin looks & feels, maybe have a look at one of our other Step-by-Step Guides. For example AD FS with LDAP Provisioning: https://wiki.resolution.de/doc/saml-sso/latest/all/setup-guides-for-saml-sso/microsoft-ad-fs/ad-fs-with-ldap-user-directory

If you want the try a free evaluation you find the marketplace page here: SAML Single Sign On for Jira

Cheers,
Christian

Thanks for the confirmation Christian, I just did the setup for both Jira Service Desk and Confluence using URL based metadata exchange both side and it went well.

For your information, it was one of the seamless configuration experience I've seen so far with SAML. You did great job.

Hi Bertrand,

I work with miniOrange,  one of the top vendors providing SAML SSO solutions for Atlassian applications at the most competitive prices.

You can try our SSO apps for Jira ServiceDesk and Confluence Server versions to see if it suits your needs. It supports importing configuration using the metadata URL and syncing the configurations at specific intervals to keep them up-to-date.

It works well with the external user directories and provides features like

• Encrypted assertions, customizable SP certificates
  • Auto-redirect all the unauthenticated traffic to IDP
  • Single log out
  • Customizable templates for error messages
  • Multiple identity providers

and many more.

To request a free one-time SSO setup, you can reach out to us at atlassiansupport@miniorange.com. Let us know your availability and we'll set up a screen sharing session to assist you with the setup.

If you would like to try out the free evaluation of our app, you can get the apps here:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ankit Ahuja

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Desk

The Complete Guide to Atlassian for ITSM

Hi Atlassian Community! This is Teresa from the Atlassian team. My colleague Paul Buffington @Buff and I are excited to share a brand new ITSM resource we’ve created – "The Complete Guide to At...

2,186 views 15 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you