Restrict JIRA user to access customer portal

Rinju Mukherjee August 28, 2017

Dear Experts,

In my JIRA service desk project, I have configured that only customer/s, who my team adds to the project can access the portal and send request. Further for our dev. team (JIRA users), have view access in the JIRA service desk and can also add 'Internal Comments' in the JIRA service desk. However, any JIRA user, who are not even added to my service desk project, is able to access the portal. 

I want it to be restricted and only those, who I add to my service desk project, should have access to the portal. Please suggest what addtional settings do I need to do? Or if I have to make any changes in the above settings?

Thanks

Rinju 

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2017

Check the permission scheme for the project.

Rinju Mukherjee August 29, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the hint. I have checked project pemission scehme but I could not able to fine any specific permission related to customer protal.

Can you please let me know which one i need check?

Thanks

Rinju

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

Check who has permission to see the project first in the permission scheme, so you know who should be able to get to it.  Specifically, what groups are in the Browse permission

Then go to the people section of the project and check who are "customers".  The aim is to ensure your JIRA users are not customers.

Rinju Mukherjee August 30, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks again.

As far as 'customers' as concerned, JIRA customers are not mared as customers.

For the 'Browse Project' permission, it is allowed for the JIRA users, as we would like our dev team to view service desk incident and also add internal comments. This I enabled because it was reocmmened in the official documentation of Atlassian. Following is the link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/collaborate-with-other-jira-teams-on-jira-service-desk-issues-930022007.html

Maybe i need to raise a ticket with Atlassian.

Thanks

Rinju

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2017

Rinju, I think you miss Nic's point. If a JIRA user is listed in the customer section then they are a customer, you need to remove those internal JIRA users that you dont want to access your portal. What I did for one portal like this is make an organization and export a select group in jira and then import them to this organization and these were the only people who could access the portal as I added the organization to the portal.

Hi Arthur, Hi Nic,

Thanks for pointing it out. In the customer section I see JIRA users, but there is no option to remove it. As far as I understand, we can add customer from 'Project Settings'--> 'Users and Roles'. Here i do not see JIRA users. I only see those who i added as customer.

Thanks

Rinju

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2017

Rinju, you are supposed to add external customers in the Customers section either on their own or create an organization and add them there.  If you are adding internal JIRA users then its best to make an organization and name it say INTERNAL JIRA users. If you add them just as users and not in an organization then as you say there is no way to remove them but you can remove organizations. It looks to me that depending how you intially setup your JSD will depend on wether or not the customer section gets populated with internal jira users or maybe you just added them on your own.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2017

In case you think I've given up here, I have not.  It's just that Arthur is explaining it better than I can!

Hi Arthur,

I am not sure if i made my requirement clear. I did not add any JIRA user in the customer section. I only added the real customers. It's just they are apearing thier and in my opinion that is the cause of the issue.

My requrirment is the following:

The development works on JIRA. So for any JIRA Service Desk incident, in case we need help from dev, we create linked JIRA. However, we want dev team or JIRA user to be able to view service desk ticket, so that they can also see if any further comments are added by customers. Hence as per Atlassian best practice documentation: (https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/collaborate-with-other-jira-teams-on-jira-service-desk-issues-930022007.html?_ga=2.99080793.67304673.1503931936-876066639.1501662310), we provided them the view access of JIRA service desk. But we do not want them to access the customer portal. And that is what i am looking for.

I hope i made the requriement clear.

@Nic: Thank for your comments though i did not think that way. All i am looking for help :).

Thanks

Rinju

Rinju Mukherjee August 31, 2017

Hello Arthur and Nic,

I have further tested and found that though JIRA users (Dev team in my case), have access to the customer portal but they cannot send/submit  requests. It is not the best solution but accpetable for our scenario. 

If i remove JIRA users to browse the service desk project, then they cannot see JIRA service desk incidents, which is not the way we want it to work.

So i do not need to make any changes  and live with the restriction that JIRA user will have access to customer portal but will not be able to submit request.

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help and valuable inputs.

Regards

Rinju

Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2017

Rinju, AHHHH I see now I thought you only wanted certain of your internal JIRA users to be able to interact with the JSD and be able to make comments etc on tickets (they would not be an agent) but I see now that you also wanted them NOT to be able to login through the portal. That I am afraid is not possible but it shouldnt be an issue as there is no reason for them to do so and its much easier for them to go through JIRA. Thats how I have some setup and trust me the internal JIRA users dont bother with the portal at all but they do make internal comments on tickets. SO it looks like you are good to go. Hope all works out for you and thanks to Nic as well.

Art

0 votes
Chris Hassler April 19, 2018

Sorry to jump in, but I would like to raise a question to the comment Arthur made on Aug. 30th:

"Rinju, you are supposed to add external customers in the Customers section either on their own or create an organization and add them there.  If you are adding internal JIRA users then its best to make an organization and name it say INTERNAL JIRA users. If you add them just as users and not in an organization then as you say there is no way to remove them but you can remove organizations. It looks to me that depending how you intially setup your JSD will depend on wether or not the customer section gets populated with internal jira users or maybe you just added them on your own."

Another one of the admins in my site added a large group of JIRA users as customers to all of our Service Desk projects. I would like to replicate the functionality that Rinju was able to achieve (allowing internal users "Read" access to the service desk projects without public "write" access) but I cannot remove these users as you have described. I've created a organization within the project and added all the internal users, but if i remove the organization the users appear again as customers (with no organization) in the same project. If I remove the internal users from the organization, the same happens-the users appear again as customers (with no organization) in the same project.

Please advise, I'd like to clean our Customers section up so I can do more accurate testing and be able to isolate the desired customers to increase their experience. It appears you have been able to remove Jira Software users from the Service Desk Customer lists before per your comment, so I would like to know if there is another way to do this or if this functionality was lost in the UI update?

Thanks

0 votes
Arthur Mack
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2017

Look under JIRA service desk configuration and make sure No, only my team can create accounts is checked

Rinju Mukherjee August 29, 2017

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your reply. That is set exactly as you mentioned.

Thanks

Rinju

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events