Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring backup into another cloud site

David Krall July 7, 2017

Our company is splitting and we have to create a separate cloud site for the team taking over part of our duties.  We have created the new site but it refuses to restore the backup of our site.  I think the issue stems from the fact that the new site was setup with the account of someone who already existed in the old system.  When I select the backup file it balks at this user.  Aside from deleting the user from our parent site I went into the backup and purged his account from the backup.  This allows us to get up to 91% on the restore, syncing users and groups, but it consistently fails.  I tried creating a case from the resulting error page using the provided url but it fails out as well.  Does anyone have experience doing this or can you provide some guidance on how to get acheive this?

2 answers

0 votes
David Krall July 12, 2017

I have talked with Atlassian Support and it sounds like there was a bug recently introduced which has broken the import/RESTORE feature!  This is kind of a big deal because backups are only as good as your ability to restore them.  The case is JRACLOUD-67157.  I would STRONGLY recommend everyone who uses this feature (and those who don't) to start voting on this case as this really needs to be fixed.  Your backups wont do you any good if you can't restore them.  I will keep this post updated as I hear more.

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

> but it refuses to restore the backup of our site.

With what error message on screen, with what stack trace in the log?

From what you say, you're restoring a JIRA cloud back to JIRA Server? The cloud version usually gets updates first, to what JIRA Server version are you installing on, assuming an XML export is being imported?

If (oustide chance) you are creating a new cloud instance from an export of another cloud instance, you'll need to go through support.atlassian.com

David Krall July 10, 2017

No, this is a cloud to cloud restore, that said I am not aware of where to find any addtional stack trace outside of the page displayed.

The orriginal error message was:

•E-mail 'USER_EMAIL' is assigned to more than one user: 'first.last, USER_EMAIL'
•E-mail 'sysadmin_email' is not valid. User(s) using this email: 'sysadmin'

I resolved the sysadmin issue by correcting the email address, and I am able to "resolve" the USER_EMAIL account issue by removing his user profile from the backup file.  When I do that the Import Wizard allows me to proceed, but it fails around 91% on the Synchronizing User and Groups section.

The error message received in this case is:

•Error importing data: com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.identity.UsersAndGroupsImportHelper$1: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events