Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Require field in workflow transition

Bryserker May 3, 2017

Hi,

I am currently testing out Jira Servicedesk and I'm trying to setup a change process for us.

I've created a custom workflow based upon the default. From creation, the issue moves to awaiting approval and from there can - for example - be declined.

When it is being declined, I want it to show a screen with a custom comment field which would be required.

I've set it up in the workflow to transition to declined, with the transition set to the required screen.

I have then followed the Confluence article here without errors.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-make-jira-applications-fields-required-in-a-workflow-transition-691011903.html

The validator is set up: Required fields (ignoring context): Change - Approver Comment

I've tried this both with and without ignoring context. However, when the approver clicks on decline, the issue simply goes to the status decline without presenting a screen.

I have triple checked the workflow, the screen, the custom field. The field is on the screen when I check it manually. The screen however doesn't display when 'decline' is clicked. The workflow however does show the required screen in the Edit Transition box.

I am unsure where to look or what to test at this point, any thoughts would be much appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2017

Bryan,

you should be able to simply define a new screen let's call it Decline Request Screen and attach it to the Decline transition. Then in this new screen you can have whatever fields you want and you can make each required or optional. You may even want to add a 'decline reason' code that is a drop down.

There is good documentation for adding screens on Atlassian site.

hope this helps.

Bryserker May 4, 2017

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply!

I already had a screen attached to the transition, but it didn't show when transitioning.

However, I have found the reason. I had a condition (which was copied from the original JIRA provided workflow):

"Block transition until approval:Condition to block issue transition if there is a pending approval."

I removed this condition from the transition and now it does show the screen.

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
Mark Hostetler May 1, 2019

Thanks for documenting this! I had the exact same issue because of that condition setting, and was able to resolve it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events