Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Servicedesk add-on from JIRA Instance

tims September 17, 2017

Hi, We are going to migrate from JIRA 6.4.8 to JIRA 7.3.8. We have a new server environment for JIRA 7 and the migration steps are working as expected. 

However.. we are hoping to use Service Desk on JIRA 7. We have the Servicedesk v2.5.3 add-on with JIRA 6.4 but this add-on is unused. 

I am trying install Servicedesk v3.5.2 on our JIRA 7 environment but it’s reporting the below in the logs and we are unable to navigate to projects that have been migrated to Servicedesk (page fails to load):

ERROR sysadmin 1127x162x1 kvcm7f 10.11.60.67 /rest/plugins/1.0/ [c.a.s.b.lifecycle.server.ServerPluginLifeCycle] '2.5.3' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.5.2-REL-0012'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first.
com.atlassian.servicedesk.bootstrap.lifecycle.server.UnsatisfiedVersionRequirementException: '2.5.3' version of Service Desk cannot be upgraded to '3.5.2-REL-0012'. Upgrade to '3.0.0' <= <version> < '3.2.0' first.

I have tried removing Servicedesk v2.5.3 from JIRA 6.4 but a fresh import of the database into JIRA 7 still shows the error in the logs. So Servicedesk v2.5.3 is still referenced somewhere in JIRA 6.4 despite removing the add-on.

Is there a way to completely remove v2.5.3 from JIRA 6.4 so we can install a clean version of v3.5.2 with JIRA 7? 

I’ve tried manually installing v3.0.0 etc but looking at the below link it’s a known problem. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4211 

There seems to be no upgrade path for servicedesk between JIRA 6.4 and JIRA 7.3. So I’d like to fully remove all reference to SD v2.5.3 from JIRA 6.4 so I can make a clean install on JIRA 7.3. 

Does anyone have any advise? 

Thanks, 

2 answers

0 votes
tims September 18, 2017

Hi Branden, thanks for the reply. 

We are jumping from JIRA 6.4.8 to JIRA 7.3.8. 

To confirm, there is no supported upgrade path other than migrating from JIRA 6.4.8 > 7.0.10 >  > 7.3.8?

I will look at dropping the service desk tables to see if this works for us, but we'd prefer a supported method which by the looks of it involves an intermediate upgrade to 7.0.10.

Thanks, 

Tim

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Hi Tim,

At the moment the upgrade path with the intermediate step to 7.0.10 is the only supported upgrade path due to the way the installer checks for upgrades. 

Please vote on JSDSERVER-4732 to add impact to the feature request to get this functionality added so we can avoid this in future upgrades.

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Hi Tim,

When you install Service Desk it creates tables for the product.  This is what the installer is seeing.  There is an upgrade path outlined in JSDSERVER-4211:

1. Rollback the JIRA upgrade first
  2. Then upgrade to a Service Desk version such as 3.0.10 (Corresponds to JIRA Server 7.0.10)
  3. Once this upgrade is complete, you should then be able to upgrade JIRA to 7.2 and Service Desk to 3.2

Take a look at the Service Desk 3.2.x release notes and the knowledge base article After upgrading to JIRA Service Desk 3.2.x or greater, Service Desk project's navigation bar shows "Unable to render element due to an error" and for more information.

There is an open suggestion ticket to add support to drop the Service Desk tables from JIRA.  You can find it at JSDSERVER-4732 and in addition, there are some suggestions in JSDSERVER-4732 to drop the tables, however, you will need to try that in a test instance as I have not see multiple confirmations that method works.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events