Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reminders in Servicedesk

Henrik Sihvonen January 17, 2018

Hi,

I don't trust my memory any longer and also like to unburden my brain from menial tasks like remembering to do stuff at a given time. It would be great if I could easily state that I would like to be reminded to look at a given ticket at a given time. This I then could monitor in a queue.

Simple thing, but immensely useful to me and quite a few more, I would imagine.

I should also mention we use the Cloud version.

Regards,

Henrik

7 answers

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

Hi Henrik,

There are a number of ways to resolve:

1. Add an SLA and when it gets to breach, alert yourself

2. Create a filter with a subscription to yourself that notifies you of issues that meets your criteria

We use both in our organization...

Susan

Thanks for your suggestions, but this doesn't really fit my needs. The reasons for a reminder can be so numerous, it can never fit into an SLA or subscription. I am talking about the possibility to set a date and time when I will take a look at an issue. Very simple and effective in my view. Possibly together with a comment, as I also tend to forget why I was supposed to take another look...

Like # people like this
0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

@Henrik Sihvonen 

Automation for Jira is available for JIra Cloud and can automate tasks based on a cron schedule.

That might work for you

susan

0 votes
MK August 27, 2019

From what I understand you would like to be reminded of the tasks or issues that are assigned to you/ pending approval by you. This is pretty simple.

Create a filter and subscribe to it.

Below filter gives the result of all issue assigned, reported and pending approvals in yo name, that is not in resolved, closed status.

( assignee = currentUser() OR Approvals = myPending() or reporter = currentUser() ) AND status not in (Closed, Resolved)

Hope this helps

Henrik Sihvonen August 27, 2019

Hi Muthanna,

Thank you for the effort, but as I believe I stated earlier, the ticket might not be one of mine, I just want to have the option to set a reminder to look at it at a given time. I can use the outlook tasks to create it, but think the option should be available within the Jira applications.

Regards,

Henrik

MK September 5, 2019

I have got few ideas:

1. based on previous comment: Ticket needs to shared with you or add yourself as a watcher and then modify the filter to your requirement.
  2. Assuming you are looking into all tickets in a project/multiple project. You can update all the notification scheme to trigger notification every time a ticket is updated or use filter and subscribe to it.
  3. Assuming you looking into random tickets across multiple project single project. 
    You may create a common component or label field. This way it would be much easier to identify them and use query filter to subscribe for daily update.

I thought of possible scenarios and above 3 comments. Hope you might find this useful.

In case this doesn't meet the requirement, then let me know what exactly are you looking with detailed description. I will jog my brain to it ;)

0 votes
Rick Baker June 19, 2018

@Henrik Sihvonen

I too have a need for this functionality and we are cloud based as well. Any luck yet?

Henrik Sihvonen June 19, 2018

No, I am still using the due date option, which works to some extent, but doesn't really meet my requirement. Imagine if you could set a reminder together with a personal comment why you set it and that is either only for you or public!

Like Rick Baker likes this
Rick Baker January 16, 2019

BUMP

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2019

All, to reiterate the (some?) options:

1. use SLA - i understand where this doesn't meet all needs
  2. use Due Date - i understand where you might be stepping on others' intentions for this field
  3. create a custom date field, e.g. Remind_Me, and set up a subscription
  4. create a "My Activities" dashboard and establish a daily routine to view this dashboard while sipping your morning joe or beverage of choice. Tip: use "currentuser()" in your filters for this dashboard and share it with all so that everyone can view their issues or those they are watching.
  5. Open a JAC suggestion to introduce a "remind me function"

I can't think of any other solution TBH.

Like Joni likes this
0 votes

Again, good ideas, but this would require me to assign the ticket to myself and I just want a reminder that I should do something with the ticket. It can be to see if anyone did something or that the case it is about is possible to test/ verify at this specific time.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2018

For me, and my team I leverage a dashboard call "My Activities". It is designed to represent the CurrentUser so it works for me or whoever is logged in and watching. I make a habit of checking every day and instruct others to do so as well. The gadgets I have set up help illustrate things like "due this week", "Hot Issues", "recently completed" etc. 

So I only have to remember one thing - check my board daily. Actually I check at beginning and end of day if not more frequently. It covers JSD and JSW assigned issues.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2018
  1. create a custom date field called "Reminder"
  2. write a filter based upon looming Reminder date
  3. add to dashboard "my activities" or set up automation to trigger

While you wrote your comment, I actually did this, but it fails as I want a reminder for me and someone else might want a reminder for hir, and I for sure do not want anyone else's reminders. We are quite a few working with the Servicedesk, so I can't create one per user...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2018

@Rick Baker's followup inquiry brought me back to this topic and I wanted to respond to @Henrik Sihvonen's last comment. The solution of only receiving reminders for 'your' issues, whoever 'you' are is a simple matter. there are two methods:

• good: each user that wants a reminder simply creates a filter w/ their name as the assignee.
  • better: create a shared dashboard called "My Activities" that works for everyone. the assignee of any/all filters used in the dashboard includes "Assignee = currentuser()". I do this for my entire company and they can use it as their single source to monitor their assigned issues. Include the shared "reminder" filter and there you have it.
  • theoretical best: use the as yet to be implemented Reminder field. but you may wait forever for this.

Obviously all solutions require you to fill in the suggested "reminder" custom field

Henrik, did you find a better solution??

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2018

Hi Henrik,

If you are server there are some good add-ons for reminders that you might want to investigate.

Cheers

I can imagine. Unfortunately, we are on Cloud...

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2018

Hi,

Then I suggest you look into Filter/subscriptions.  That's what we do.

Cheers....Susan

Thanks, but as I explained, the underlying reason is not possible to catch with a filter.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events