Random delay in Jira Servicedesk automation-rules

Niclas Hugosson October 30, 2017

Hello there!

We've been using Jira Servicedesk now for a couple of months and we've got some small issues.

First and foremost, I've set up a few automation-rules, 4 to be more precise.

1. Update when linked issue is changed

2. Set request type to a specific one when tickets are created.

3. Transition the issue when public comment is added and status is pending

4. Reopen issue when public comment is added and status is one of the closed statuses.

Problem we have is mostly with number 3. It usually works, but sometimes with a massive delay (and sometimes the system just ignores the issue it's supposed to check, no trace of it in the log).

When I check the log for that job the times it seems to run are completely random. I understand that it depends on when mail arrives, but I can get mail to an issue and the rule still doesn't wake up.

Sometimes it reacts 1-2 hours after the mail arrives and transitions the issue, sometimes it just ignores it like it never happened.

It's driving me nuts, I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't react 100% of the times.

The automation rule is quiet simple, it has 1 If and 2 else if's. 

If the issue has 1 of three statuses and the comment is public then transition it.

For instance, there are 3 statuses I'm using, 1st - Pending, 2nd - Pending and 3rd - Pending. If the issue has the status of one of these and a public (non-internal) comment is added it should transition it to respective "Updated"-status.

Instead, it does nothing.. (sometimes that is, it works from time to time) the rule doesn't fail or anything, the issue isn't even in the log.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to troubleshoot this?

Best Regards, Christofer (I'm responsible for the instance of Jira Servicedesk)

1 answer

0 votes
Paulo Hennig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2017

Hi, Nicolas.
Indeed this is not the expected behavior as the issue should be transitioned right after getting its message. Due to this, would you mind to enable debug logging level for com.atlassian.servicedesk.plugins.automation (JIRA Administration > System > Logging and Profiling)? With this, ensure to replicate this behavior while looking for the Service Desk log (JIRA-HOME/log/atlassian-servicedesk.log) and confirm if the Automation is not getting triggered at all.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events