Project key/Issue naming conventions

Gareth Ford January 17, 2018

Hi all,

I think I know the answer to the following question but figured it would be sensible to ask before I forget about it and move on...

We are looking to log all of our Incident and Service Request issues in the same project (and most likely Change and Problem..). From what I have read, there is no way to differentiate these issues from one another solely by their naming convention (i.e. INC, REQ, PRB etc) as all of them are given their name based of the Project Key within which they are logged.
Am I correct in thinking this and therefore that the only way to differentiate between the differing issue types from this perspective is to create different Projects for each differing Issue Type...?

Hopefully this makes sense!

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

Yes, you are right. If all issues are in the same project than you can differentiate them by issue types. Or you could move them to different projects.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Alexey. When you say we can differentiate, that is only by logging them as different issue types - correct?

We are not able to change the prefix of the ticket based on Issue Type within the same project (i.e. they will always begin with the same key whatever type they are)?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

That is right you need to log them as different issue types. Their prefix will be the same (the key of the project)

Thanks Alexey

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events