Process Help with a hands off Client

Kelly Ternasky March 20, 2018

I'm new with the Service Desk JIRA software, and I've recently taken over for a client who uses it to submit content requests for a website to us. 

The issue is that I've been trying to set up a process and they don't want to follow it.  So how do i make it easier on our end internally to keep track of tickets that sometimes conflict?  We have about 50 people who can submit a change and get around 7-10 changes a week (More during start and end of the year when policy changes occur).

The clients expectations are they can just send over a copy/image change whenever and internally our team fixes it.  They don't like questions, or want to be bothered. 

So far this was my process to which they said no to sending in 1 URL per page b/c it is to much work for them to send in 15 different emails and they'd rather bundle. Help on how we can internally make this work w/them not really wanting to do anything? 

PROCESS:

Send Support Requests to: email@email.com

Please submit 1 email for each page URL  so that the requests can be tracked individually, edits are clear, they can be QA’d individually, published individually (page updates won’t get held up by others that may not be ready), and any additional revisions are straightforward.

To:

• Only CC people who need to be alerted of these changes. You don’t need to cc’ anyone from our team

Subject (in this format):

• Name of Page & brief description of change
  • g., Electric Heating & Cooling Updates to copy and PDF forms

Body of the email:

• Please describe as clearly as possible what the requested changes are for the specific page.
  • URL of page
  • Attach any screen shots, or marked up documents
  • Date the change is needed live by (if applicable)

1 answer

0 votes
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2018

Hand wavers! Don't you love them! Concurrently one of the neediest but least-wanting of attention. I do not envy you.

With that being said, I think a strong internal procedure for this client will be the best solution.

-Once a ticket comes in from this customer, create linked issues to spin off for each individual 'item', and assign those to your team. Make the initial request the 'face' of the ticket, but keep all work segregated if you can. Easier to track and review later.  

-Remove any unnecessary participants manually when your customer CCs too many people

-Take a deep breath and accept that the customer's behavior is out of your control, but you have kick ass software to support what YOU need to do. 

Kelly Ternasky March 20, 2018

Thank you!   You should see some of the tickets they will bundle up!  16+pages, with multiple copy docs.  And then they will add new stuff after they QA.  It's a nightmare and they only pay for X amount of hours. 

Curious is there any way that JIRA can help detect similar ticket requests? I just have a feeling that w/only two of us on these (1. who PM's/Reviews/QAs, and 2. who updates in sitecore ) that we will forget/miss something.  I was hoping that by the client using the naming convention and separate tickets I could at least easily scan to see what was currently open/pending. 

Also - when you say 'linked issues" do you mean like a 'subtask'?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2018

Out of the box, JIRA has some great automation options (Project Settings > Automation)

You could set alerts or automation dependent on key words or phrases in the in the ticket that would cause certain actions: assignee updates, emails to fire, etc. 

Linked issues could be either another ticket created in your help desk software OR if you're utilizing JIRA core, another task or subtask in a board that you and your team could view, plan from, and execute on. 

Linking is also a really handy way to keep track from one request what other 'associated' issues are attached to that request, even if you don't create a new issue. I can link two help desk tickets together and then pair with automation that would make sure comments were copied over to the linked issue. 

The sky is really the limit, so the first thing I would recommend is having a sit-down with the team and figure out what would make the both of you happy(mostly?) while dealing with the customers needs/demands. 

Happy to answer any other questions you come across, wishing you the best in this journey! 

Kelly Ternasky March 21, 2018

thank you so much for your responses!! I wish i could hire to you train me personally! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events