cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with required fields in Service Desk

sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

I have a problem with Service Desk form for customers. I add some required fields but there is no information, when customer didn't fill it. I've check radio button option and a select list. Please help :)

6 answers

1 vote
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2014

Can you give me the link to your ticket?

sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

I did it. Please VOTE for this ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-38293- Thanks.

sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

+1 vote :)

Philipp Klauser June 10, 2014

voted as well...

1 vote
sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

I know :/ So we have no solutions now?

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

I guess the best thing to do is create a ticket on http://jira.atlassian.comand get it on the road map. I will be pleased to vote for your ticket ;-)

1 vote
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

Indeed, service desk gives no error when no radio button is selected. In JIRA downloaded you could have used javascript to 'fix' this issue, but for service desk this option is not available (see answer Brad Baker):

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/219739/javascript-and-behaviours-scripts-in-jira-service-desk-forms

Concerning the use of drop down lists. The best way to design a drop down list is to set a meaningful value as the default. It is bad UI desgin practice to include some value like 'none' to indicate that the user has not made any selection. Of course if you like to use the 'none' value, you could have written some javascript that checks if the value differs from the 'none' value, but unfortunately this is also not possible.

sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

No beacause that problem concerns a radio button or drop down list, because I have a problem only with that sort of custom fields. do you have any idea?

1 vote
BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

Hi Pawel,

Do you want to give the user some feedback when he didn't fill in all required fields? Some kind of form validation?

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

Or do you want to give an indication in service desk which fields are required? Because if a field is required in JIRA you see an '*', but this is not the case in service desk.

sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

Best option are both, but for me it is sufficient to give the user some feedback

BenjiI
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

Hi Pawel,

The information you are requesting is already there, but it is a bit hidden. Fields that are required have no indication, but fields that are optional have the 'optional' mark, f.e the description field in de next example:

Service desk will automatically generate an error message when a required field (not marked as optional) has no value set on form submission.

You still have the option to add some additional information next to the field, f.e 'A short description what the task is about'. This value can be set in the administration panel:

Here you can always add an extra comment to notify the user that a field is required.

Does this answer your question?

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

Please be so kind and use the comment function :-) so the questions here are more readable for all people. Thank you!

0 votes
sledzinski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2014

Maybe it is possible to add an entry in the drop-down list for example "choose answer" which will not be treated as an appropriate required answer?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events