Prevent Click to Edit but allow edit fields directly

Ryan Lane October 3, 2019

I have a specific need. We have consultants that will need to create tickets and manage customer tickets. What I want to do is prevent them from being able to click the button to edit which gives them an "admin" like view of all the possible fields, even fields that are not actually used in the ticket type. In testing, they are easily confused by all these and I would like to keep them out of it but still be able to edit the fields in the ticket directly.

If I limit their ability to edit via the permissions scheme, then they can't edit tickets at all.

Is there any known way to do a middle of the road limit on editing tickets?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi @Ryan Lane ,

Using the edit button and in-line editing are handled by the same permission as you noticed. Per issue type, you can define three screens: Create/Edit/View. If it's possible to only add the fields your consultants should be allowed to edit to the Edit Screen, then that would be the easiest route as they wouldn't be able to edit any other fields without first adding them to that screen. (Though the same applies to any other agents you may have)

The other option I can think of if you have agents who need full edit permissions, and consultants who should only have limited options for editing, is to create a Transition called Add Information on your workflows starting from "Any Status" and going to "Itself". You could then add a Transition Screen with only the fields your consultants should be able to edit. This will let them fire the transition at any point in the workflow and present them with only the fields they need to see.

Ryan Lane October 3, 2019

Thank you Michael for the suggestions. Your first thought is a happy compromise for my problem. Appreciate it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events