Not able to log in to onpremise Jira Servicedesk after domain controller reinstall

Anders Thorsen October 24, 2019

Hi,

After reinstalling our domain controllers, we have issue with logging into Jira Servicedesk, self-hosted.

In Jira-security.log I see some "The user has PASSED authentication." but only a few. I was also lucky to be able to login my self once, but after logout Im not able to come in.

While I was logged in, I was unable to go to Admin pages, as an error occured in the authentication part.

In jira.log I see 

https-jsse-nio-443-exec-11 ERROR anonymous 744x812x1 6q7khg 10.10.1.13 /rest/gadget/1.0/login [c.a.c.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric] Directory 'Active Directory server' is not functional during authentication of . Skipped.

Ive tried to restart the service and the server. Ive tested the LDAPS from the Jira server, with success. LDAPS lookup user is active and works.

The domain controllers was reinstalled in the daytime yesterday, and worked good with authentication, until this morning where it did not work. I can see a recycle of the Jira application happened inbetween, but Im not sure if it is connected.

Please help me with pointers or good comments :) As I need this installation to work.

Brgds Mads DK

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2019

Hi Mads,

I understand that you recently reinstalled the domain controller and since that time Jira is not able to login these users.  The error message you posted of

Directory 'Active Directory server' is not functional during authentication of . Skipped.

is a pretty clear indicator that Jira is not able to connect to the active directory is was configured for at the time the user is trying to authenticate.  It could be a problem with the network, the address, the server is under heavy load, the credentials are invalid, etc.  It's difficult to say exactly what the source of the problem is, but sufficient to know it isn't working.

In cases like this, I find it tends to be really helpful to have an Jira system administrator account that exists in the Jira internal user directory.  This way you can login with that account and make changes to the way that Jira interacts with these external user directories.  If you do not have one of these internal system admin accounts created in your Jira server site, then I'd recommend walking through the guide Retrieving the JIRA Administrator.  It does provide you steps to follow to be able to recover a Jira site like this to make sure you can get the top level admin access again. 

Once you have this, I would look to disable the non-working user directory in Jira and simply try to add a new user directory to Jira again.  This tends to require you to use a domain admin credentials to setup and configure.

If you're still seeing this problem after trying to add back a new user directory, I'd be interested to see what other errors might exist in the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file both they Jira tries to sync with this directory and when users try to login via the directory.  Perhaps we can learn more about this issue with additional logging here.

Please let me know.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events