Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No valid issue types found for project - Create Subtask On Issue Creation

Deleted user October 25, 2017

I am using the Bob Swift Create Subtask On Issue Creation. I am getting the following error:

2017-10-25 00:18:56,292 http-nio-80-exec-5 ERROR jmarchionna 18x73261x1 k0jtro <ip address> /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [o.s.j.cot.functions.CreateSubIssueFunction] No valid issue types found for project: TEST

2017-10-25 00:18:56,294 http-nio-80-exec-5 ERROR jmarchionna 18x73261x1 k0jtro <ip address> /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [o.s.j.cot.functions.CreateSubIssueFunction] Unexpected exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException

<…blah, blah…>

2017-10-25 00:18:56,297 http-nio-80-exec-5 ERROR jmarchionna 18x73261x1 k0jtro <ip address> /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [o.s.j.cot.functions.CreateSubIssueFunction] Cound not create issue during workflow transition for TEST-19 due to error finding configured issue type.

I added an issue (assigned to me) under my account; I am an admin, developer, and service desk team member under the TEST project.

In the TEST project, Task and Sub-task are part of the default workflow. The issue scheme looks fine.

What am I missing? I followed the documentation

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2017

On your test issue, can you create a sub-task?  Is that the same type as you have configured for the post-function?

Deleted user October 25, 2017

Hi Nic, I can create a sub task manually in the UI. In the workflow, I selected create a sub-task when creating the post function and based on the documentation I have not modified anything else. The parent issue is a Task. While troubleshooting I have tried to change the post function Issue Type to 'Sub-task' but still no success.

I would be happy to provide the post function screen shot if that helps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2017

So you can create a sub-task of type "sub task" in the UI, and that is what you told the post-function to create as well?

Deleted user October 26, 2017

Correct, the original issue is a Task and I am trying to create a Sub-task. No linking, just want to create a Sub-task. The UI works as expected.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2017

We need to see the config of the post-function

cot issue.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2017

Ok, and what's the "specific issue type"?

I have tried to set to subtask and task, both do not work. There are no additional options in the drop down. Should there be?

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2017

Is your sub task type really called just subtask - no space, hyphen or capitalisation?

Doesn't matter, I have tried Sub-task, Subtask, subtask, and sub-task, none of them work - in the logs it always starts out with the "...QuickCreateIssue.jspa [o.s.j.cot.functions.CreateSubIssueFunction] No valid issue types found for project"

Deleted user November 20, 2017

For anyone that cares, the resolution to this is that despite JIRA providing a issue called "Sub-task" it is of type "Standard", which to me is baffling. To one that is new to JIRA SD, this is incredibly confusing. In order to use BS Create on Transition Add-On, an issue type of type "Subtask" must be created, you can't use the issue type "Sub-Task". Confusing? Yes. Good luck newbies...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2017

That's not true.  If you have a type called "Sub-task" that is a standard issue type, then you or one of your administrators added it.  Sub-tasks off the shelf are sub-tasks.

Deleted user November 20, 2017

I'm not going to get in an argument here, but the 'Sub-task' is type 'Standard' in our system. No one changed it. Maybe it was an error during installation, but we had no issue types of type 'Subtask' after installation.

Is there a place I can check (log file?) as to who might have created something different?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2017

There might be something in the audit log (it's part of the admin interface), if logging was enabled at the time.

Jira used to ship with a standard set of tasks and sub-tasks, but now it creates the ones it needs when you start creating projects.  That code definitely does not create standard issues with the name of sub-task.  Either an admin added it, or they renamed a standard level task.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events