Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New status created in a new workflow was changed to existing one

Sveta2579 January 18, 2018

Hi all, 

I created a new workflow from scratch and did not use names of statuses already existing in Jira. The workflow was for a specific project only and for specific issues. Then I've noticed status Waiting for approval in another workflow was changed to that one. Only that status. 

How can I get rid of that issue? My new status is Sent to execution and was not copied from existing status.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Radosveta

4 answers

1 vote
H K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2018

Are you sure that "waiting for approval" was not an existing one and nerver used before? If it was and you edited it, it changes everywhere. I had that, too.

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

Hi,

Statuses are global so even if you created a new status from scratch it could appear in another workflow and that workflow can change the name of it.  From diagram mode it's very easy to change the name of a global status without even realizing it.  Has happened in our shop in the past. 

Hope that helps

Susan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

so I may have misread the initial question. :-( I read as a brand new status was created and that new status changed an existing status name. I expect that @Sveta2579 has updated an existing status which would explain things. 

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

This doesn't make sense (yet). The only way that I'm aware the status associated for a given WF would be changed is if it was edited, e.g. shared WF, etc. Yet you clearly indicated you started from scratch.

Go into the WF associated w/ the unwanted change and change the status to what is desired assuming it is indeed wrong. Then check the new project and see if anything has changed. It should not change unless the WF or Status is shared.

0 votes
Sveta2579 January 18, 2018

Hi all, thanks for the answers, but the new status is named Sent to exеcution, I am not aware there is existing status with such name in Jira SD. The workflow was not copied, I just did a brand new one with new statuses. The strange thing is that a waiting for approval status was changed in another workflow, but not in every workflow containing that status. If I change the status in the old workflow back to waiting for approval, it changes the name of the status to that in the new one. This is the reason I ask, in case I've just copied an old workflow is understandable, but not.

Do you have any idea how to solve this without to create a new workflow? Thanks I appreciate it

Sveta2579 January 20, 2018

Hi all, 

I've got where the problem was. Still no idea how that happened, but at least know where is it and how to resolve it. 

In the impacted workflow ( it was existing at the time I've done the new one) when you go Workflow - Text- Edit, in the field where you have the problem Go to Edit

and you will see Update workflow issue and Linked status. The two statuses need to be the same. Not the case by me and I did not know how that happened. because the same status is present in other workflows, but I did not experience there the issue.

So it  looks like. See the file

In order to get rid of that you have to make a copy of the impacted workflow to make the fields contain the same information (only possible by inactive workflow) and to assign the updated workflow to the request type in the project. Please let  me know in case there is another way to do this.

Workflow Update.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events