Need help setting up queues for requests worked on by multiple teams

jlaprade@cisgroup.net June 12, 2017

I am just starting with Jira Service desk and am having quite a bit of trouble understanding exactly how to get it set up to work for my environment as it seems to function differently than any other service desk I have used. 

I have multiple teams. 

1st level helpdesk
Desktop Support
Infrastructure
Network
DBA
Development

Here is a very basic ticket that would come in:
Onboard New user John Smith
User requires Active Directory Account, Email, Internal Database, Laptop, Monitor, Keyboard

In previous service desks, this would initially go to 1st level helpdesk who would verify all the paperwork is in order and then submit to the Infrastructure Team to create the associated domain accounts. 

The infra team would then submit to the DBA team to perform the relevant database access request. 

The DBA team would put their stamp on it and submit back to the helpdesk or to the desktop support team for completion of the actual computer setup. 

None of this would ever get assigned directly to a person by another team, it would go in as unassigned to whatever team's relevant queue and a team member would pick it up and work on it. 

Can someone tell me how this type of thing would be done in Jira SD? 

When I bought Jira SD, my desire was to have workflow setup so that:
1. Manager submits Request type "New User"
 - Ticket is automatically assigned to Infra queue and approval is sent to HR Manager
 - HR Manager approves and is sent for approval by IT Manager
2. Once approvals are completed, Infra Team is notified and domain accounts are created by them
3. Infra team submits to DBA for database access
4. DBA completes access and ticket submits ticket to Desktop Team
5. Desktop team completes work, verifies everything is good and then closes the ticket. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

If the nature of the project, e.g your staffing example, is to pass the issue from group-to-group then I would suggest first creating a workflow for this. Each new status (state) would reflect who has the ball. Using your "New User" example, New User would be the Issue Type and you would set up a two approval workflow that requires both HR and IT to approve before going thru the other statuses. So it looks something like:

1. Open (initial state). owner = HR Mgr
  2. HR Approved - HR Manager transitions to IT by clicking "HR Approved" transition. new owner = IT Mgr
  3. IT Approved - IT Manager approves by clicking "IT Approved". new owner = infra 
  4. Accounts Created - the infra team has completed creation of the accounts. new owner = DBA 
  5. DBA Granted - DB access is in place. new owner = desktop team
  6. Resolved - desktop team has completed their work. new owner = n/a

The above is of course an example and you may choose to make the states forward looking, what the next step is, rather than reflecting what just compelted.

Then the queues are a simple matter of creating a queue for each status and the owners of the queue are as I depicted. 

Alternate approach - keep a simplified workflow and use Sub-tasks for each task. However, if approvals are in fact required before any subsequent tasks are done I would keep the approval piece in the workflow.

Hope this helps and note there are other ways to solve the issue of queues. Just remember that the queues are nothing more than a filtered list in JIRA. So it is generally a simply matter of creating a queue with the filters needed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events