Moving from Jira Evaluation version to fully licensed version and SQL Server 2012

Michael Voegtle February 8, 2019

We recently received approval and purchased a license for Jira at my company. Currently we are still running the evaluation version but the boss wants to upgrade to the full version (with license) in short order. Part of that plan includes utilizing SQL Server 2012 which we own and have a dedicated server ready to go. 

The boss asked me to find out what is the best approach: 

• upgrade the evaluation to the full licensed version first
  • or setup the database before upgrading the evaluation to  the licensed version

At the moment I am reading through some articles found online through Confluence but thought that MAYBE some of you out there have already been through the process and may have suggestions. Any advice or help is GREATLY appreciated. 

FYI
We're running in a Windows 2012 R2 and Linux server environment. SQL Server 2012 for DB. Not sure if you may need any additional information. Suffice to say that the evaluation version is currently running well and without issue. Just a matter of upgrading the app and setting up the new DB instance. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2019

Hi @Michael Voegtle,

Welcome to the community. 

For Jira, there is no difference if you are using a evaluation license or a paid one. 

And in regards to the database, I  guess, you are using the integrated H2 database at the moment. You can use that database with a license and you can use SQL Server with evaluation. 

So at all, in my opinion it doesn't matter, what you do first.

Anyway, I would start with the license, just to be sure you are not running out of maintenance. 

Michael Voegtle February 8, 2019

Hello Bastian! Thank you for the welcome sir. 
Yes we are currently using the evaluation version and the database (internal H2 database?) that comes with it. As noted in my question we do have and want to utilize SQL Server 2012. We don't plan on moving Jira from the server it is currently installed on now. 

The boss just wanted to know if it was better to upgrade from the evaluation version to the licensed version first and THEN add the SQL Server DB/instance. Or do the SQL Server DB/instance first and then upgrade to the licensed version.

Personally I think your idea is best - upgrade to the licensed version and then move/point it to SQL Server. We'll have full support/maintenance and can utilize the internal H2 database while we setup and/or point to SQL Server. 
Makes sense, no? ;-)

Like Tim S likes this
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2019

Right, this will work very well.

Like Michael Voegtle likes this
Tim S September 11, 2019

Found this thread after looking for an answer concerning the internal H2 database; the JIRA documentation made it seem like an external DB would be required to use JIRA outside of the evaluation version. If I can continue to use the H2 DB in the licensed version that's a big relief ... I'm only using the server software for self training so hopefull the internal database will be sufficient.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events