Modifying Approvers

Meytal July 22, 2019

I have configured Approvers so that at least 1 of my agents can Approve the request. I want to point out that I don't want the customers to choose an approver, as they are pre-defined.

approvers2.jpg

I also added default Agents under custom field Approvers:

approvers3.jpg

And my workflow where i add Approvers:

approvers4.jpg

The problem is, I tried changing the list of approvers multiple times, but each time a request is open, once again, i see the old list of approvers. I then have to go in manually to every request and change the approvers by removing and adding new ones. As you can see in this screenshot:

approvers1.jpg

What am i missing??

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Grasevski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2019

Hey there!

From what I can tell, you've updated the Approvers field default values within Jira settings. There is one other place that also lets you set default values for a field: the request type settings. Could you double check whether that request type has a default value set for the Approvers field?

Go to Project settings > Request types, find the relevant request type and click Edit fields. Is the Approvers field in the bottom section ("Hidden fields with preset values")? If it is, check what preset value it's being given.

Let me know if that is what is causing the problem :) 

Meytal July 23, 2019

Thank you! That did the trick. I didn't think of that.

Question...

Since I dont need the client to choose an Approvers because I pre-defined them within the Custom Field Approvers (Approvers Contains users needed for approval. This custom field was created by Jira Service Desk.), do I still need to add Approvers as a "hidden" field within the Request Type?

All i want to make sure is that at least one of my agents approves a request before starting to work on it (work in progress).

What do you suggest?

Peter Grasevski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2019

The two places for setting 'default values' for a field behave differently:

• If you use the Default Value option in the custom field configuration scheme (like in the screenshot you posted), it will pre-fill that field with that default value for every issue that uses that field. This field could be used across multiple issue types, and across multiple Jira projects.
  • If you use the Hidden fields with preset values option (in the individual Request type field settings), it will pre-fill the field with that default value only for issues created from that request type. This means you can change it for each separate request type that has that field on it, and those default values can change per-project.

For your case, I would suggest using the second option I've listed - providing the preset value per-request type, unless you're sure other projects won't also be using your Approvers field.

Meytal August 11, 2019

Great thanks. It works

Like Peter Grasevski likes this
0 votes
Meytal August 11, 2019

See above

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events